Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your Opinions on lane splitting

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VS CALAIS, Aug 4, 2006.

1. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    Hi all,
    As a car driver and motorbike rider just wondering what you all think of lane splitting (when a motorbike overtakes between two cars) either stationary or moving traffic? i would like ppls opinions as this topic has ppl who either spit chips at it or dont mind it as a motorbike does not hold up traffic. I myself have lane split at lights and moving traffic (when right hand lane is blocked by idiot doing 10 - 20 km/h less than posted speed) and have (at lights) had ppl that actualy make room for u but also ppl who try and block u from moving to the front. i guess the mentality if i wait u wait comes to their mind.
    anyone that rides will understand where im coming from :)

2. Doctor Sodways

Doctor Sodways Legendary Baby!

Members Ride:
    Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
    I dont see a problem with it at lights as long they dont hit my car on the way past, moving, well it can be sketchy. I dont have problem because they accelerate away from the lights leaving you to do your own thing, if i rode i would probably do it at lights, but not between moving cars, id be to worried what they are going to do if they dont look and see you there

3. DavoTheGreat

DavoTheGreat New Member

Members Ride:
    Z Series ClubSport
    Fellow bike rider here. Lane splitting stationery traffic is fine when there's a safe gap but lane splitting moving traffic is just too dangerous. All it takes is for some moron to not like you getting in front of him and the only splitting that'll occur is your own bones. When I'm in the car I try and make room for bikes although I once have some retard on a Harley with ape hangers try and lane split where he couldn't fit and he broke my aerial.

4. semi

semi GOD

Members Ride:
    VR exec wagon
    i dont have a problem with it, i just get jealous when there's heaps of traffic. As long as they fit and dont go leaning on my car its fine. My understanding is that its a lot safer for a bike out in front of the traffic

5. jules

jules we like the bun

Members Ride:
    pimpin
    i ride and i lane split. splitting is fine if done right and car drivers who whinge should shut up. at least i'd love to say that, but unfortunately many bikers split in a dangerous manner when they shouldn't, too fast and just generally carve everyone up.

when you ride in between stationary traffic at 50 km/h as i've seen repeatedly done, you are advertising to the world your life is cheap.

now where's my pipe and slippers?

6. Pub247

Pub247 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Ford Fairmont
    I well, don't mind it as semi said i do get jealous as well when they can cut through traffic but on wednesday morning at 7:30 am on dandy-frankston road i was going to work when a motor bike rider did some lane splitting past me so i go along another 50m (traffic slow) and then it banks up. As it turned out it ended up getting cleaned up by a car like another 100m up the road. He was just lying in the middle of the road and all these cars were stopped and people were getting out,standing and ringing cops and ambo's i assume. I think he was ok but didn't want to move incase he was hurt. So I guess its at their own risk and i think depending on the situation drivers shouldn't get blamed for motor bike riders actions. Of course there's lots of times when drivers are just blind to them.

7. Stupa

Stupa New Member

Members Ride:
    VU Storm
    As long as your not a spandex speedbump, then go for it.

8. 253@7k

253@7k 300rwhp supra. yay.

Members Ride:
    TT Supra/HZ Ute.
    The problem is when a scooter rider decides to do it. They think they can pull away as fast as a bike (quite funny when you put your foot down and scare the sh1t out of them).

Anyway, I dont have a problem with it, just so long as they dont get in my way.

Steve.

9. STEALTHY™

STEALTHY™ So Wet For You!

Members Ride:
    VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
    well, it depends on the situation, like if i see a bike behind me, i'll move over to the opposite side he's on, to give him as much room as possible, if he wants to go past. My 2 tonne car takes a little longer to get up to speed, so its not like he'll hold me up.

But on the other hand, you get the morons who have maybe 5mm between each cars mirror and still try to get thru.

on the moving point, i was driving one day and there was a parked car, and i seen the bike coming up behind me at obviously double the speed i was doing. turned out that he would be next to me at the same time i was overtaking the parked car (left lane 1.5 width, right lane normal) so he had plenty of room to go past me. He did, and managed perfectly fine, but still decided to be a wanker and give me a spill at the lights(even got off his bike at the red). i just told him how he shouold get a license not found in the bottom of a cereal box and learn some courtisy and wound my window up.

10. xlr8_87

xlr8_87 No longer a commy driver

Members Ride:
    '96 Prado 4x4
    i always move over for bike riders to split past me
    doesnt bother me
    only makes me jealous about not having a bike yet :(

11. TheForgotten

TheForgotten only human......

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    I don't split. can't go fast enough to do it in moving traffic (people here are always racing to get no-where) adn I don't trust that people won't splatter me at the lights

12. bangers

bangers New Member

Members Ride:
    EL FALCON XR6
    i used to do it all the time at lights. i just hate the tossers who open their doors on you trying to knock you off the bike.

13. GreenGremlin

GreenGremlin New Member

Members Ride:
    VK Calais
    doesnt bother me really when sitting at lights as long as theres plenty of room, get a bit nervous when some of em cut it fine through narrow gaps. while moving though i think its madness and a potential accident waiting to happen.

had one do it today while i was stationary at the lights to turn right, this guy lane splitted to my left, he then proceeded to cut across the front of me to pull a u-turn at the lights while i wanted to turn right! if i hadve assumed he was turning right as well and not been paying attention he couldve got cleaned up...

14. Patrio7

Patrio7 3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.

Members Ride:
    '96 S1 VS Exec
    im not a big fan of people riding between cars, if i see em coming i'll pull over a little to my side of the lane to give them clearence but i still dont like it.
    done in moving traffic is just stupid.

but merging is my gripe, if i come to a merger i'll move right in the middle to stop people from trying to sneak in a 5cm lead and hold onto it till the cars squash, some people will to anything for a position.....

i might be a bastard for blocking both lanes in the middle when they merge but i think it forces positions and keeps traffic flowing.

15. nizmovk

nizmovk New Member

Members Ride:
    VK wagon
    i dont mind it at all. Having had a few bikes over the years, i know there are a few advantages of owning one, ie; no such thing as traffic jams!! but also if i see a bike in my rear view it seems to be common curtesy to allow it to pass.. also gives me and mr.4yr old a better look at it...

16. Julie

Julie moderator- for now anyway

Members Ride:
    Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
    Well I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I hate it, most of the times I have experienced the rider has acted in a very dangerous manner, and for what?... the sake of getting a few cars ahead. Patience is a virtue, some people ought to learn to have it.

17. nizmovk

nizmovk New Member

Members Ride:
    VK wagon
    i must admit i dont like the bikie gang style of going past like they own the road though

18. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    I think it is stupid, as a rider from sydney years ago i always used to stay in the flow of traffic, this way i knew people would see me. Most bike accidents happen becuase the rider is lane splitting and sits in the cars blind spots.

Thank god that with the new law changes this is no longer allowed and carries a hefty penalty. Not sure if the law changes are now in, or they come in January 1.

19. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    In stationary traffic (at red lights etc) it's fine as long as they're careful. I often get nervous they're gonna damage my car by getting too close.

IMO, the guys that do it in moving traffic have got a death wish...:bang:

20. vlv8vic

vlv8vic <---Brad Quaid = internet stalker

Members Ride:
    M5
    in not keen for it. i dont ride but the few times they do it around me worries me a bit. i know my car has blind spots which could hide a semi, so when there is a motorbike floating around somewhere it scares me that i wont know hes there and knock him off, then id be the bad guy.

particularly the speed some of these things approach at, they are there and hidden before i even know they exist. at the lights doesnt worry me too much, though i find they obstruct my field of view (here is warrnambool, if you are at the front of the lights, particularly if you are turning, you need a good vision because of pedestrian crossings).

isnt it against the law anyway? if so, then thats that! we arent allowed to pick and chose laws based on what we think is safe or not.