Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your Opinions on lane splitting

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I don't split. can't go fast enough to do it in moving traffic (people here are always racing to get no-where) adn I don't trust that people won't splatter me at the lights

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i used to do it all the time at lights. i just hate the tossers who open their doors on you trying to knock you off the bike.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
doesnt bother me really when sitting at lights as long as theres plenty of room, get a bit nervous when some of em cut it fine through narrow gaps. while moving though i think its madness and a potential accident waiting to happen.

had one do it today while i was stationary at the lights to turn right, this guy lane splitted to my left, he then proceeded to cut across the front of me to pull a u-turn at the lights while i wanted to turn right! if i hadve assumed he was turning right as well and not been paying attention he couldve got cleaned up...

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
im not a big fan of people riding between cars, if i see em coming i'll pull over a little to my side of the lane to give them clearence but i still dont like it.
done in moving traffic is just stupid.

but merging is my gripe, if i come to a merger i'll move right in the middle to stop people from trying to sneak in a 5cm lead and hold onto it till the cars squash, some people will to anything for a position.....

i might be a bastard for blocking both lanes in the middle when they merge but i think it forces positions and keeps traffic flowing.

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
i dont mind it at all. Having had a few bikes over the years, i know there are a few advantages of owning one, ie; no such thing as traffic jams!! but also if i see a bike in my rear view it seems to be common curtesy to allow it to pass.. also gives me and mr.4yr old a better look at it...

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Well I'm gonna go against the grain here and say I hate it, most of the times I have experienced the rider has acted in a very dangerous manner, and for what?... the sake of getting a few cars ahead. Patience is a virtue, some people ought to learn to have it.

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
i must admit i dont like the bikie gang style of going past like they own the road though

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I think it is stupid, as a rider from sydney years ago i always used to stay in the flow of traffic, this way i knew people would see me. Most bike accidents happen becuase the rider is lane splitting and sits in the cars blind spots.

Thank god that with the new law changes this is no longer allowed and carries a hefty penalty. Not sure if the law changes are now in, or they come in January 1.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
In stationary traffic (at red lights etc) it's fine as long as they're careful. I often get nervous they're gonna damage my car by getting too close.

IMO, the guys that do it in moving traffic have got a death wish...:bang:

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
in not keen for it. i dont ride but the few times they do it around me worries me a bit. i know my car has blind spots which could hide a semi, so when there is a motorbike floating around somewhere it scares me that i wont know hes there and knock him off, then id be the bad guy.

particularly the speed some of these things approach at, they are there and hidden before i even know they exist. at the lights doesnt worry me too much, though i find they obstruct my field of view (here is warrnambool, if you are at the front of the lights, particularly if you are turning, you need a good vision because of pedestrian crossings).

isnt it against the law anyway? if so, then thats that! we arent allowed to pick and chose laws based on what we think is safe or not.