Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your Opinions on lane splitting

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Hi all,
As a car driver and motorbike rider just wondering what you all think of lane splitting (when a motorbike overtakes between two cars) either stationary or moving traffic? i would like ppls opinions as this topic has ppl who either spit chips at it or dont mind it as a motorbike does not hold up traffic. I myself have lane split at lights and moving traffic (when right hand lane is blocked by idiot doing 10 - 20 km/h less than posted speed) and have (at lights) had ppl that actualy make room for u but also ppl who try and block u from moving to the front. i guess the mentality if i wait u wait comes to their mind.
anyone that rides will understand where im coming from :)

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
I dont see a problem with it at lights as long they dont hit my car on the way past, moving, well it can be sketchy. I dont have problem because they accelerate away from the lights leaving you to do your own thing, if i rode i would probably do it at lights, but not between moving cars, id be to worried what they are going to do if they dont look and see you there

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
Fellow bike rider here. Lane splitting stationery traffic is fine when there's a safe gap but lane splitting moving traffic is just too dangerous. All it takes is for some moron to not like you getting in front of him and the only splitting that'll occur is your own bones. When I'm in the car I try and make room for bikes although I once have some retard on a Harley with ape hangers try and lane split where he couldn't fit and he broke my aerial.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
i dont have a problem with it, i just get jealous when there's heaps of traffic. As long as they fit and dont go leaning on my car its fine. My understanding is that its a lot safer for a bike out in front of the traffic

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i ride and i lane split. splitting is fine if done right and car drivers who whinge should shut up. at least i'd love to say that, but unfortunately many bikers split in a dangerous manner when they shouldn't, too fast and just generally carve everyone up.

when you ride in between stationary traffic at 50 km/h as i've seen repeatedly done, you are advertising to the world your life is cheap.

now where's my pipe and slippers?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I well, don't mind it as semi said i do get jealous as well when they can cut through traffic but on wednesday morning at 7:30 am on dandy-frankston road i was going to work when a motor bike rider did some lane splitting past me so i go along another 50m (traffic slow) and then it banks up. As it turned out it ended up getting cleaned up by a car like another 100m up the road. He was just lying in the middle of the road and all these cars were stopped and people were getting out,standing and ringing cops and ambo's i assume. I think he was ok but didn't want to move incase he was hurt. So I guess its at their own risk and i think depending on the situation drivers shouldn't get blamed for motor bike riders actions. Of course there's lots of times when drivers are just blind to them.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
As long as your not a spandex speedbump, then go for it.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Doctor Sodways said:
I dont have problem because they accelerate away from the lights leaving you to do your own thing,

The problem is when a scooter rider decides to do it. They think they can pull away as fast as a bike (quite funny when you put your foot down and scare the sh1t out of them).

Anyway, I dont have a problem with it, just so long as they dont get in my way.

Steve.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
well, it depends on the situation, like if i see a bike behind me, i'll move over to the opposite side he's on, to give him as much room as possible, if he wants to go past. My 2 tonne car takes a little longer to get up to speed, so its not like he'll hold me up.

But on the other hand, you get the morons who have maybe 5mm between each cars mirror and still try to get thru.

on the moving point, i was driving one day and there was a parked car, and i seen the bike coming up behind me at obviously double the speed i was doing. turned out that he would be next to me at the same time i was overtaking the parked car (left lane 1.5 width, right lane normal) so he had plenty of room to go past me. He did, and managed perfectly fine, but still decided to be a wanker and give me a spill at the lights(even got off his bike at the red). i just told him how he shouold get a license not found in the bottom of a cereal box and learn some courtisy and wound my window up.

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
i always move over for bike riders to split past me
doesnt bother me
only makes me jealous about not having a bike yet :(