Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts on removing V8 Supercar Wings

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Pretender said:
I was referring to speed. 0 - 100 in 4 seconds is quick by road car standards but not in a race car. The increment 100 - 200 though is very quick.
As a benchmark, the top rally cars hit 200 in under 5 seconds.

Bathurst at 290 is fast enough but it is the only track where they can reach anywhere near this speed.

I just think the V8 Supercar Series has been strangled by the current rules.

I would love to see the open and fast production car racing again with as many brands taking part.

0-200 in under 5 seconds? Are you sure?

The F1 cars do 0-200 in 4 seconds... No way would a rally car be almost equivalent to an F1 car in acceleration?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Pretender said:
I was referring to speed. 0 - 100 in 4 seconds is quick by road car standards but not in a race car. The increment 100 - 200 though is very quick.
As a benchmark, the top rally cars hit 200 in under 5 seconds.

Bathurst at 290 is fast enough but it is the only track where they can reach anywhere near this speed.

I just think the V8 Supercar Series has been strangled by the current rules.

I would love to see the open and fast production car racing again with as many brands taking part.

Sounds a bit quick, 200kph in 5sec??? the other thing to remember is that rally cars aren't geared to hit 300kph, hell, they probably don't get over 200kph much especially in the twisty gravel stuff. the other thing about removing the wings & splitters is that it would reduce braking performance greatly so instead of the V8 SC going flat through the chase they would be having to lift already and applying the breaks a lot earlier. the reason the V8 SC aren't that quick form 0 -100 is probably cause the Engines actually have a narrow powerband which is high in the rev range(5500 - 7500rpm) and the fact that they use a close ratio box which tend to have a long first gear i.e. they hit 100kph in first and when they get the green light they have to keep the revs high otherwise they tend to bog which means wheelspin and a slowish 0 -100 time

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Yes

1991_Vn2nV said:
0-200 in under 5 seconds? Are you sure?

The F1 cars do 0-200 in 4 seconds... No way would a rally car be almost equivalent to an F1 car in acceleration?

Absolutely. Most of the top level rally cars are in fact quicker than F1 cars to 100 but some are slightly slower 100 - 200. The quickest I've seen was 3.4 0-200

They tend to have a top speed of only 230km/h because of the gearing.
In the 80s the rules were changed because they were too quick but it only took a year to eclipse the older cars under the new rules.

I will have to try and locate the magazine article where they put a Group C Commodore against a rally car down the 400m. The Commodre ran a low 12 and the rally car was in the 9s.

I'll start looking now

Edit: OK at present I will humbly eat my words. The quickest I found was a current EVO at 5.4 seconds. I cannot find anything on comparison tests other than round a complete track. So until I find some proof I will be wrong.
Edit II: With more searching I have found that the cars quicker than F1s were the Group B cars produced from 1982 - 1986 when they were banned. The Lancia Delta S4 could accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 2.3 seconds on a gravel road but I can't find a 0 - 200 time. This Lancia also did a lap of the Portugese F1 track and would have qualified sixth, just over a second behind Pole (Senna) despite it being about 90km/h down in top speed compared to Senna's F1.

So I admit I was wrong because I was referring to current (legal) rally cars. They are not quicker than F1s.

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'm so over supercars, they can take the wings and the rest of the car while they are there. It's just as dumb as NASCAR now :). I can invent a better class of racing right now, you ready

Class A
Production cars $55,000-$80,000

Class B
Production cars $40,000-$55,000

Class C
Production cars under $40,000

Run anything you want so long as it's a large volume production car.

No limited run specials allowed. There :) cures all the problems

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i hear ya, maybe go back to the rules of yesteryear, the 70's and 80's:thumbsup:

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
can i ask where did u hear this. is there a link or something, because of u just 'herd' it then dont beleave it for **** cos there is so many rumours. some tosser tryed to tell me that lowndes was moving back to holden the other day ROFL

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
why don't they just turn it into nascar and be done with it. it seems to be heading that way anyway.

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
i agree, banger. the next thing i had heard was using a std platform, only with f**d or commy fronts on. It defeats the whole idea of brand racing...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
maybe ifthey released the rear suspension to the manufactures setup rather than just the 9" trailing arm/4 link setup that they must run at the mo. it would cetainly make them quicker through the corners with independent rears

VKNutt

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Berlina
leave the frills on! A SC is supposed to be tough, without them, it'll be like watching grandads church goer with a couple of stickers... WTF???? Also, while I'm ranting... I agree totally that the regulations are stupid... Release the whole thing to the manufacturers and then maybe we can actually get some real Holden Vs Ford Vs ? racing!!! it is getting stale at the moment, I used to watch every race, check details and specs and whatnot, but to be honest, at the moment, I don't even know who won at Oran Park on the weekend... LETS GET SOME REAL RACING AND COMPETITION HAPPENING HERE!

PS: maybe if it wasn't so regulated, then Toyota may actually be more interested in entering such a competition