Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts on removing V8 Supercar Wings

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Ripcell said:
can i ask where did u hear this. is there a link or something, because of u just 'herd' it then dont beleave it for **** cos there is so many rumours. some tosser tryed to tell me that lowndes was moving back to holden the other day ROFL

Its in the latest V8 racing magazine or whatever its called. I read it in a few, but its on the front page of that one.

Working night shifts at a servo, I get around to reading all the magazines :p

MBS206

Reaction score
This will in theory make for better more interesting racing as it will allow for easier overtaking.... As at present a V8 Supercar struggles to overtake on a corner as when it leaves the slipstream from behind the car in front, it loses downforce and therefore grip, making it too hard to overtake during cornering....
Say what now? They LOOSE grip when getting out of a slip stream?
That's the biggest load of **** I've heard yet about wings/racing!
When you're in a slip stream, the car in front "punches" a hole through the air, and creates a negative vacuum behind it, which, is what creates a "slip stream" because you're not forcing your car to "punch" the air. Therefore, less force is required to gather the same amount of acceleration, as a car punching the air.
The issue you get, is you get little air flow over your car, compared to the one in front.
What does this mean? There is little air flowing over/under the car, to create a vacuum below the car to suck the car down. Hence, less grip when slip streaming.
Now, pull out of that slip stream, you grip levels sky rocket to exactly the same as what the person you were slipping behind has.

As for the 10newtons of force @ 200km/h. Thats the SECOND funniest thing I've heard abuot racing and wings.
The wings used on race cars, are a highly sophisticated wing design, they are NOT like that on a normal road going car. They actually provide HUGE amounts of downforce.
Why do you think, when a V8 supercar looses it's front splitter in the kitty litter etc, they loose so much front end grip?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
MBS206 said:
Say what now? They LOOSE grip when getting out of a slip stream?
That's the biggest load of **** I've heard yet about wings/racing!
When you're in a slip stream, the car in front "punches" a hole through the air, and creates a negative vacuum behind it, which, is what creates a "slip stream" because you're not forcing your car to "punch" the air. Therefore, less force is required to gather the same amount of acceleration, as a car punching the air.
The issue you get, is you get little air flow over your car, compared to the one in front.
What does this mean? There is little air flowing over/under the car, to create a vacuum below the car to suck the car down. Hence, less grip when slip streaming.
Now, pull out of that slip stream, you grip levels sky rocket to exactly the same as what the person you were slipping behind has.

As for the 10newtons of force @ 200km/h. Thats the SECOND funniest thing I've heard abuot racing and wings.
The wings used on race cars, are a highly sophisticated wing design, they are NOT like that on a normal road going car. They actually provide HUGE amounts of downforce.
Why do you think, when a V8 supercar looses it's front splitter in the kitty litter etc, they loose so much front end grip?

Bah on Thursday I will write down exactly what it says in the magazine ok?

But still, why is it that cars dont lose (not LOOSE :p) all that grip when they are right behind a car in a corner in the V8 supercars? Seeing as theoretically their grip should SKYROCKET if they got out of the slipstream?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i beleive slipstreaming only really works at high speeds plus you gotta almost be running bumper to bumper to get the best effect, more like nascar racing and you very really see V8SC that close in high speed sections, it's normally more like a car length apart except where one gets better drive outa the corner and has the speed advantage to overtake.

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
id have to say to keep them on there, if you have ever been to bathurst and see the cars go down conrod and into the breaking area going around 290k's, you see the cars go all over the track under heavy breaking, and without the downforce that the rear wing is giving, they would more than likely fly straight of the track and into the wall... man i cant wait for bathurst again!!