Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts on removing V8 Supercar Wings

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
As im sure most people have heard by now, they are looking at removing the rear wing to decrease downforce along with part of the front splitter or something as well...

This will in theory make for better more interesting racing as it will allow for easier overtaking.... As at present a V8 Supercar struggles to overtake on a corner as when it leaves the slipstream from behind the car in front, it loses downforce and therefore grip, making it too hard to overtake during cornering....

But at the same time this will obviously slow the cars down... What do you think? Good idea or bad?

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
ooo this is a hard one.... but i'd say leave them on, it's just not v8 supercars without them

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
would make driving them a bitch, ide say to leave it on, would be a change for the worst if they removed it. it wouldnt be a race car then, people who own ricers take the wing off. would be a criminal thing to do to a big aussie car

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
that would make it more dangerous racing and drive up costs of fixing cars. imagine how unstable they would become at high sppeds without the spoilers and splitters. bad idea i think and it just not gunna be the same having v8 supercars without the spoilers on them. just like them suggesting that bitsaremissing (mitsubishi) and toyota (sorry no funny name for this one) joining in. they wanna get on the band wagon cos they see the publicity and go i want some. just my 2c.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
They only exert like 10newtons @ 200kmh or something to that effect, get rid of them......

aZk.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Anyone remeber seeing Dick Johnson have the mounts on his wing snap just as he went into caltex chase, he was on race cam at the time and cut loose with a few choice words as he went flying off the road in a 280? km/h spin :p

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
The cars would only be slightly more unstable without them. Remember they don't go that fast to start with.
If Toyota and Mitsubishi joined in it would just be the same as the cars are so restricted under the current rules.
Why not go back to proper touring car racing and let the fast cars back in.
Holden and Ford would have to really fight for a win which would make it more entertaining. If they can't win they would have to wear it and improve their cars, not just ban the quicker cars this time.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
removing the rear wings and front splitter would make it dangerous, watch the cars carefully next time at bathurst at the end of Conrod into the chase at 290kph+, watch how they move around with the wings etc. sure without wings etc their would be more overtaking but they would be much slower around the track also:sleeping: and as for Toycar and bitsaremissing, i don't believe they currently have a suitable platform to enter the V8supercar catergory, i.e. rear wheel drive, pushrod V8 engine etc i woulda thought maybe another American(dodge maybe, 300c) or possibly a European manufacturer as the 3rd contender.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Pretender said:
The cars would only be slightly more unstable without them. Remember they don't go that fast to start with.
If Toyota and Mitsubishi joined in it would just be the same as the cars are so restricted under the current rules.
Why not go back to proper touring car racing and let the fast cars back in.
Holden and Ford would have to really fight for a win which would make it more entertaining. If they can't win they would have to wear it and improve their cars, not just ban the quicker cars this time.

Wat you mean not that quick? 0-100 in 4 seconds flat is pretty fast imo...

The thing with the 3rd contender is... Mitsubishi want to but cant afford to... Toyota can afford to, but dont really want to.

Imo if there is a 3rd contender they should ditch the 5.0L V8's... Make the cars run the engines they do in performance production states... i.e. Holden with a 6.0L LS2, Ford get their 5.4L and Toyota or Chrysler get their own as well, whatever size that may be.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
1991_Vn2nV said:
Wat you mean not that quick? 0-100 in 4 seconds flat is pretty fast imo...

The thing with the 3rd contender is... Mitsubishi want to but cant afford to... Toyota can afford to, but dont really want to.

Imo if there is a 3rd contender they should ditch the 5.0L V8's... Make the cars run the engines they do in performance production states... i.e. Holden with a 6.0L LS2, Ford get their 5.4L and Toyota or Chrysler get their own as well, whatever size that may be.

I was referring to speed. 0 - 100 in 4 seconds is quick by road car standards but not in a race car. The increment 100 - 200 though is very quick.
As a benchmark, the top rally cars hit 200 in under 5 seconds.

Bathurst at 290 is fast enough but it is the only track where they can reach anywhere near this speed.

I just think the V8 Supercar Series has been strangled by the current rules.

I would love to see the open and fast production car racing again with as many brands taking part.