Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughts on this?

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Personally i would have kept the warranty if it was a factory extended warranty not a 2nd hand warranty. Thats why i don't care what the dealer puts in my car because if it ####s up they have to fix it because its only been serviced by them and on time and the car isn't abused

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
i reckon you did the right thing... i avoided a warranty last time i bought a car... long story short a cracked radiator and blown head gasket a month out of the 3 month warranty... cost me $250 to get a new radiator and an engine with 75000 ks from an auto berlina... that took a lot of arguing and all but in the end the fact that the original engine used 3 litres of oil in a month meant that they couldnt prove the head gasket wasnt already damaged... with a warranty i would have still been $1500 dollars out of pocket so i have decided they're not worth it unless they're: a) free and b) can be serviced by any mechanic

Also from reports i've heard car dealers will charge whatever they believe the market will take for a service... obviously you need to go to a poor arse neighbourhood to get a good price for a service lol!!

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
Ford focus' are relatively reliable anyway? so there's less need for an extended warranty?

I think you did do the right thing also, I can also empathise with the dealer; they do what they're told and I suspect they prolly agree with you in regards to oil

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
I had this warranty with my XR6T.I new it wasnt going to last long though due the exact things pointed out by the OP,incorrect oil ect for our climate and vehicle imo.

Part of the deal was that I wanted the car freshly serviced for no extra cost before pick-up/delivery of the BA.This then gave me 3 months to pick on everything possible and get some value out of this "free" warranty.

All up about 4 visits with a few things fixed each time fixed equated to a very anger service manager,I suggested that their car buyers be a little more carefull next time when they trade a car in,look a little harder for faults,not my problem and isnt this what a warranty is for?I'm sure you would do the same if you had mechanical knowledge.He replied,"well I cant answer that question",so I replied with a chuckle"you must drive a Holden"lol.

To the OP,you have made the correct decision by going about things yourself.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
I've ALWAYS been lead to believe the thinner the oil the better, thicker oil = higher oil pressure, pressure = resistance to flow...

I think you stooged your self mate. i run 10w-30 full synth in my supra (about $100 for 5 litres) in my car, It has alot to do with the actual engine clearances along with climate. I would have stuck with the warranty... Either way, Any extra wear caused by using the wrong oil won't show up until higher K's (probably after you dispose of the vehicle)

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
a ford focus is a car.

the words "car" and "reliable" do not belong in the same sentance.

relative: something having, or standing in, some relation to something else.
reliable, in relation to other cars.