Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your toolboxes

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Dewalt is tough, most of my home tools are dewalt but i find they just cant get into tight spaces as good as the milwaukee stuff

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
the only thing is once you pick a brand you generally need to stick with it otherwise youll have 5 different brands of chargers for not many more tools.

each brand is pretty much the same in the end, they all do the same thing, just depends on whether you want a particular brand or happy with any.

I have met a lot of people that say Milwaulkee cant be beaten and wouldn't go anything else, but after having worked at a whole lot of different places with just about every brand under the sun, they all are the same, just comes down to personal preference, or in most peoples cases, showing that they have whatever the most expensive is while not wanting to use it because it might get dirty :thumbsup:
stick with a brand name and they will generally last for forever and a day
In my case I went down the Makita path and cant complain. now at the stage that its only the occasional skin that's needed rather then a full kit with yet another charger.

Having used Dewalt at work they certainly do well and can cop some serious abuse.

if you are worried about tight spots the smaller kits like the Milwaulkee 12v, Makita 10.8V are certainly good.

whats fun though is when you go work in explosive atmospheres and then have to go out and rebuy a whole kit of tools because you cant use battery tools and instead are required to use air powered tools.

aussieakito

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I wouldnt say milwaukee is particularly expensive, the skins are quite cheap as compared to the snap on items.
Snap on cordless tools are pretty crappy in my experience, seen them fail several times.
Like you said drawn i just stick with milwaukee so i can just keep 1 charger and swap batteries when needed.
Although my cordless 3/8 is due for an update just because the new one is capable of some stronger ugga duggas.

Im never worried about getting tools dirty... but they always get a clean before going back in the box as i HATE my toolbox being dirty.

also milwaukee have a "fuel" range which is brushless so you can use it around flammables

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sabbath WTF ? Are you fixing cars or demolishing a house ???
I need to invest in some proper cordless gear pretty soon. I've been soldiering on with my blue Ryobi 14V for past 11years and its still going but you can only drill a handfull of holes on a battery, then do a couple more, then it's beer aclock or pull out the corded Makita and have some real fun... and then if that gets too hot mixing self leveller you drag out the Ozito rotary hammer with a mixer on it BWAHAHAHA anyway back to tool boxes :)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sabbath WTF ? Are you fixing cars or demolishing a house ???
I need to invest in some proper cordless gear pretty soon. I've been soldiering on with my blue Ryobi 14V for past 11years and its still going but you can only drill a handfull of holes on a battery, then do a couple more, then it's beer aclock or pull out the corded Makita and have some real fun... and then if that gets too hot mixing self leveller you drag out the Ozito rotary hammer with a mixer on it BWAHAHAHA anyway back to tool boxes :)

Bit of both :p

The two impact's i picked up for using at work, bought them for $100 off one of the guys at work who'd upgraded. But also mainly bought them for pulling down a Pergola at home. Figured it was easier than climbing all over the roof with air lines etc. The small one will do nearly everything the big one will. Have had driveshaft nuts off with it and everything.

I got the other bundle off another mate for $400? i think, he upgraded to all the newer stuff and i was thinking of changing career paths so figured i'd get in early with the toolkit. Never eventuated. But they're great for around the house. Circular saw is my pick of the bunch so far. Used it today to cut some new fence plinths to size. No cords, no fuss. And the impact driver with bit attachment is great, ran around to the neighbours side and whacked in a few more uprights before they knew what was happening.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
the only thing is once you pick a brand you generally need to stick with it otherwise youll have 5 different brands of chargers for not many more tools.

I had this exact dilemma a couple of months ago. I decided it was time to refresh some tools but was torn between Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt and Hitachi. I have a Hitachi 12in SCMS, 7in circular saw and planer and they've been great but their cordless seemed a bit hit and miss. It came down to DeWalt vs Makita because I had hookups for both, ended up going DeWalt (got a hamer drill and impact driver to start with) and haven't regretted it.

Impact wrench is next on the wish list, tossing up how big to go with it. I don't know if the big dog 950Nm model would be overkill for my needs, but my wife (bless her) is of the opinion you can never have too much power so we'll see. Also want to pick up a work light but other tools like angle grinder will have to wait until my corded ones give up.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I had this exact dilemma a couple of months ago. I decided it was time to refresh some tools but was torn between Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt and Hitachi. I have a Hitachi 12in SCMS, 7in circular saw and planer and they've been great but their cordless seemed a bit hit and miss. It came down to DeWalt vs Makita because I had hookups for both, ended up going DeWalt (got a hamer drill and impact driver to start with) and haven't regretted it.

Impact wrench is next on the wish list, tossing up how big to go with it. I don't know if the big dog 950Nm model would be overkill for my needs, but my wife (bless her) is of the opinion you can never have too much power so we'll see. Also want to pick up a work light but other tools like angle grinder will have to wait until my corded ones give up.

Gotta say I have been very happy with my Milwaukee stuff and the rattler is fkn awesome. We have a Makita set at work and that has gone well so far as well.

aussieakito

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Added some new tools today, A new scraper as i find the slightly flexible ones better.
A Sander/whizzer wheel for cleaning... with a flexible hose to get into tight spaces easier.

13006759_10207492998175365_3495658041856512891_n.jpg

13000363_10207493000295418_6179898144391132308_n.jpg

Also shuffled the toolbox a little and managed to fit the new multimeter and powerprobe into the "electrical" draw

13076599_10207492998775380_8127928721560523305_n.jpg

aussieakito

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Where did you get the powerprobe from kito? I have seen a few websites that do like a combo of all 3 which look pretty good. They can be deadly though under the wrong hands haha

I got mine off of snap on.
Yea should always have a schematic before you start poking power into things.
It does have a circuit breaker but I'm not sure at what amount of amps it goes off.
I suppose you were putting 12v into a pull up or high side driver on an eco you could cause some damage. Or certainly wouldn't want to be poking around the SRS stuff.

Last edited: