Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your VE- What problems have you had

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Ill post one for my brothers SV6. Faulty steering rack replaced under warranty, the dealer said he was very lucky because it could have let go at any time. Aside from that no issues in 75k

Gavin62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Have the Jap cars got their Sh8t sorted. i reckon i might look at one next time.
air con compressor replaced after one week of ownership (brand new ute)
bonnet replaced at the same time due to over enthusiastic spot buffing at factory
both seat "flip" mechanism's replaced
pass side dash rattle fixed,trim replaced
drivers seat foam bolster replaced -collapsed
drivers seat bottom cloth trim replaced-bodgy stitch job done when bolster replaced
driver side exterior sill trim re mounted, half of mounting points broken off from factory
drivers side door re-aligned, not done properly from factory
dirt in paint, ''too bad''
pass side sill inside between rear wheel arch and door where 'ss' badge is located on the exterior full of mud and crap-need to take liner out to see it, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND ALL UTE OWNERS CHECK THIS AREA as ive since seen 2 more utes with the same problem, theres gunna be some rust ridden VE utes in a few years for sure
and of course the obligitory lifter rattle that LS engines have, dont care, going to turf the GM rubbish soon anyway
thats it for now

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Sorry but I hate this thread. I started reading it last night and now I'm in two minds on whether I should have spent a heap of hard earned dollars on my modern SSV marvel.

I've had it since the end of March and I was just starting to warm to SSV's charm. Don't get me wrong, I like the car and so far nothing has really gone wrong. Sure the car took a bit of adjusting (mostly of doors and tailgate) to get them to open/close and align properly but that's about it.

However, I do feel that Holden's refinement has suffered some what over the years and I must say that I am surprised that some basic design faults have crept through (possibly under the nose of Holden's bean counters) into a modern car.

Here's my impressions:
The front end creaks and noises should not be there. My 200 K VT has a quieter front end. The VE noises are probably not a big deal, but why are they not being addressed properly?

I couldn't wait to get a SSV with a 6 speed auto. After driving one in daily suburban life, I'm thinking that the 4 speed auto was maybe a good thing. The 6 speed is great for smooth open road driving. Around town and in traffic, its shocking. Its indicisive of gear selection at low speeds and can cause an uncomfortable lag that ultimately makes the driver compensate with the right foot with the result being a lurch forward when you don't want it. Maybe this trans habit can be refined out but it should be like that in a modern car.

I always wanted a SSV with leather seats... maybe I still do just not the series 2 ones. The leather grade is verging on faux leather (if not actual). Its stiff, badly stitched and doesn't hold its shape. The leather on mine is loose and baggy on the seat cushion which is uncomfortable and looks $hit. The seats themselves are acceptable after you find a comfortable adjustment combination. I think that this is result of more corners being cut to save a buck.
I showed my seats to well known leather trimmer in SYD (that actually does warranty work for dealers) and they said its not fixable with the standard cover. He didn't say it but you could tell what he was thinking... crap leather.

So there ya go. I said this thread makes me feel sick, so I just spewed:spew:

msf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 S2
No air-con when picked up from new. Refrig hose had been installed incorrectly and wore through on a belt.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
My recent problem has returned ive got a new batt and new key however sometimes when u start it it clicks tries to turn over then engine imoblised comes up on the screen, gotta take the key out and try again lol off to holden again this week ffs

Mines an 2008 VE SSV ute, Manual

Last edited:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
wow.

I feel for all of you, honestly. (especially TinSnips, the poor guy has had a well documented history of 'badluck' with his car)
But at risk of sounding like a Holden Fanboi, I havent had any drama's with my car (touch wood) and absolutely love it. It's easily the best car I've ever owned- and I've owned POS Merc's, Fords, Honda's, and VW's. In term's of reliability I also had a Daihatsu Charade... bloody bullet proof. Ok build quality of cabin internals (like carpet) sucked arse, but as a cheap hatchback she was awesome. Didnt miss a beat.
And same with my Sportwagon. No squeaks, no rattles, no otherwise unexplained mechanical issues. It performs as expected.
And that's the thing with a thread like this, a lot of people are going to come out with complaints (and fair enough- I would too if I had them), but outsiders reading this thread will think the VE is the worst car ever- and that's certainly not the case.
Every car, every make has problems.

But on the whole the VE is a damn fine car... and remember, you need to compare it with other car's in the same price point. No point in comparing to euro's or japs that are thousands of dollars more. Bang for buck, VE's are at the top of the list imo.
This isnt excusing the problems experienced above, but to anyone else reading just remember that there are 2 sides- and that there is a big reason the VE is still top of the charts in sales volumes.

Tonyla1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series ii SV6
I've had my 2011 VE SV6 Series II for just over a month now and have to agree with UFO's post. There is absolutley nothing I can fault with the car (except for the very ordinary sounding stereo). There are no rattles, shakes, or unexplained noises. The IQ system and blue tooth pairing works perfectly. All panels and fittings line up perfectly. Fuel economy is very impressive and the 210kw of power on tap makes it a fun car to drive.

In short, I am more than happy with the car

Tony

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Wait til it gets 2/3 yrs old then it all hits :p nah i love my ute, awsome car to drive, every car eventually will have problems just gotta get them fixed and enjoy driving it i say :)

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
2009 VE SS UTE (L76)

Hard lid emergeny release wouldn't work
Light inside hardlid stopped working
Tailgate recall
Trailer electrical harness
Leather peeling off steering wheel
Oil leak at sump
Water dripping onto manifold when raining

All fixed under warrenty except the water leak and there is a chance the oil leak at the sump will return which hopefully will be fixed next service.

Last edited:

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
I only have one fault.......my wife. She spends way too much time in our SSV, which now includes driving me to and from gigs. She never did that when we owned the Nissan Navara. Damn you Holden!