Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

your views on oil versus fuel price

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
US$62 overnight. OPEC have reduced output by 1.5million barrels a day to try and lift the price of oil!!! someobody is making money somewhere

time to boycott i say

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
US$62 overnight. OPEC have reduced output by 1.5million barrels a day to try and lift the price of oil!!! someobody is making money somewhere

time to boycott i say

yes lets show them and all not buy petrol, oh wait we need it.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Not that I care what I pay for petrol, but mate last time the Aussie Dollar was where it is, and the price of Oil was where it is, we were paying LESS THAT $1 A LITRE...

Even taking inflation into account, the oil companies are simply price gouging at present.

Last time the dollar is where it is was 20 odd years ago. Inflation has more than doubled prices in that time.

Leading analysts are suggesting at present there is a 4-5c disparity between currency and fuel prices in australia. So effectively fuel companies are skimming 4-5c, there is however, nowhere near as big a gap as most would think. But given how volatile both markets are from day to day, the fluctuation in this figure can vary greatly, as such, setting a pricepoint on the weekly cycle is no easy task.

Fuel companies are cheats no doubt about it, and they'll do everything in their power to keep prices up. But unfortunately the drop in the dollar has crucified any chance we've had for cheaper fuel.

As for anyone asking about why America has cheaper fuel, they have a large amount of locally supplied fuel lines, whereas ours is predominantly from asia, so we pay more in shipping, taxes and whatever further costs are incurred. It's been this case forever, but as the war continues, the US oil reserves start to dwindle and the disparity between our 2 lines of fuel is nowhere near as large.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
we all could all boycott one day a week, week one it's a sunday, week two its a monday, and so on untill they get the picture.

in all honesty they wouldn't notice a difference in petrol sales, as people would probably fill up a day or so early in order to not get caught out, however all those smokes and bottles of coke wont be getting sold either, a few people are paid all day to stand around and play pocket billiards, it adds up pretty soon.

I wonder if everyone on the forums would get in on this?

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Last time the dollar is where it is was 20 odd years ago.

No... You don't even have to go back 10 years!!!

Leading analysts are suggesting at present there is a 4-5c disparity between currency and fuel prices in australia.

Doesn't mean they're right! Regular unleaded petrol should be somwhere between $1.10 and $1.20 per litre right now, taking into account the dollar, oil prices and inflation.

But unfortunately the drop in the dollar has crucified any chance we've had for cheaper fuel.

That's EXACTLY what they want you to believe!

As for anyone asking about why America has cheaper fuel

Where did anyone ask that?

ours is predominantly from asia, so we pay more in shipping, taxes and whatever further costs are incurred. It's been this case forever, but as the war continues, the US oil reserves start to dwindle and the disparity between our 2 lines of fuel is nowhere near as large.

In fact Australia, up until the early part of this decade, was self sufficient when it came to oil supply. However now that we export out own oil, we need to import oil to make up the required volume. Problem is we import at a MUCH HIGHER PRICE than we export at. But most of Australia's oil is supplied domestically.

Australia has the ability to be self sufficient as far as oil supply goes for many decades to come. The only reason we aren't is because it's not as profitable.

Still, I want $2 a litre fuel. Less cars on the road is a GOOD thing. More room for me! :thumbsup: lol

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
As for anyone asking about why America has cheaper fuel, they have a large amount of locally supplied fuel lines, whereas ours is predominantly from asia, so we pay more in shipping, taxes and whatever further costs are incurred. It's been this case forever, but as the war continues, the US oil reserves start to dwindle and the disparity between our 2 lines of fuel is nowhere near as large.

huh? 20% is dominant? Since when?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Still, I want $2 a litre fuel. Less cars on the road is a GOOD thing. More room for me! :thumbsup: lol

If petrol hit $2/L you'd see more and more poorly maintained cars on the road and less people with insurance. I'm sure we're all looking foward to the day where that old beat up '84 Corolla runs up the back of us because they couldn't afford to have the brakes repaired. Then, only to find out they don't have any form of insurance either.