Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Youth Allowance

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Your mum probably does need that money which is why there is the option when a child turns 16 to pay it to the parent(s). I wonder if the teenagers here comprehend how much it costs to feed/house/cloth a person? I know on one hand all you can see is how unfair your situation is and how your mates seem to be better off, but at the end of the day, give your mum a break hey? It goes beyond the food you eat that she lays on the table for you, think of the water consumption with showers, the power bills, the heating bills, rent, insurance and the many other costs that go with living. Your mum probably feels bad having to say she needs your youth allowance to make ends meet, I bet she wishes she could have enough money to sign it over to you.

In the long run saving your money and then outlaying it on something makes the reward greater and you appreciate it more. Struggling does the soul good and later in life when your set up and in a more financially secure situation, you can look back at these times and be glad you had a mother that cared and provided for you. It could be worse, she could be gambling or drinking your allowance.

C.

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
let me get this straight, your mum's obviously struggling for money yes?
and you want to take money away from her which will ultimately go towards your and her well-being which you were previously unable to get?

seems bloody selfish to me if i might say so...

not taking a stab at you...

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
i dont care if the feedback im getting is good or bad. it might do me good.
we are not struggling YET.. still got 4 months to worry.
i have made my decision.. post #20 :)

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
either that or move out an get liven away from home allowance ? u get around $320 plus rent ass if ur payn over 90 a fornite in rent i was gettn 370 all up thats back when i was 16. i was outta home when i was 15 i moved in with a few diff friends always payed my way. but dude i do regret not gettn a job back than or even into an apprenticeship. im 21 now an am havn a very hard time lookn for a job. i have been now on the dole for around 3 months an im haten it with bills an that. sure my gf works but hey its not fun when all ur money goes into bills.

My thought is let ur mum have it as im sure u would rather have food on the table then haven a car with no food on the table. let alone these days you wouldnt be able to afford to run the car. lol but like said b4 priorities is more important

my 2 cents anyway

GL with it dude

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
azzfox said:
nah, you dont sound like a prick. i got no prob with getting off my ass. dont really want to work at maccas, kfc and btw i live bout half an hour away from the closest maccas which is lilydale. i live in the yarra valley near warburton and theres not much. there is an auto parts shop in woori yallock a few towns away. should check it out :thumbsup:

ha i got a mate that live in milgrove..he like moved there few months ago u might have seen him around..well when i went there the place was weird lol and so many turns in emerald at 100km/ph and bad roads nearly died there stupid hole in the road!!!! non avoidable... annyways back to the topic...it all depends on the income..they work it out and tell ya how much ur gonna get...it was shithouse for me when i was 16..it was bs acctually coz i only got $50 a fortnight and it effected my dads tax back bad so i canceld it...they said hes income was high or some bs...they suck coz it was bs he was getting paid litle..o well F centerlink :cry:

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
hey mate, im guessing your mum is struggling to make money, is that coz she's incapable of working or just cant find work? my dad is on newstart because he ruined his back on our old farm and therefore cant do any physical jobs anymore, he also doesnt have and computer skills or business skills so therefore he is pretty much stuck, but he gets a bit from newstart that helps them going. i believe that when u are living at home that ur mum deserves to get ur youth allowance, i was happy to let my mum have it as she paid all the bills, clothed me, fed me, and paid for virtually everything apart from fuel.

i went to work out in the vineyards and started making some reasonable money during the holidays, also you dont actually apreciate anything as much if you dont work to earn it yourself. i now live far away from home and have to support myself totally coz my parents cant afford to help me out at all, this means i have 2 pay rent, elec and water bills, car reg and insurance, as well as food and fuel for my car (as well as servicing it) and i have just turned 18, and even worse, im at uni and therfore cant work much, ive looked for work, but no1 wants to take me part time, every1 wants workers who can work when they want, this leaves me with my youth allowance only.

i get $401 a fortnight, youth allowance + rent assistance + living away from home allowance, $220 of that goes into rent, so im left with $180 to live, as well as pay bills, i didnt actually realize how hard it is to live like this until now, and it is very hard, just 1 tank of fuel and thats only $100 left for the whole fortnight, which leaves me with $7 a day for food, water and saving up for the all the next bills, (i could easy spend $7 at the cafe at the uni during a lunch break) every holidays im running back to my old work in the vineyards back home to make as much money as i can to live through the next semester of uni, so there's no way that your mum has it easy getting your youth allowance, and just think what ive been talking about is just for me, there is 2 of you living off less. all i can suggest is to get some work, take anything you can get, if you arent willing to work, ppl arent gonna want u, therefore u wont build up 2 a better job, im sorry if i sound harsh but its life and you have 2 live it

1 of the main reasons im at uni is coz i dont want to grow older drink most of my money away, work in a low paying job, get a wife and kids, then struggle through life like how it has been with my parents, i wouldnt want my children growing up the same way

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I think its a wise choice you have made to let your mum have the money. So long as she is providing for you then you owe it to her. If she was an alcoholic or a gambler or just in general a selfish bitch p#$%ing the money up the wall that would be a different story.

I think if I was a mum in the circumstance of having a teenage kid to provide for, being broke and still forking out money for my 16 yr olf kid who gets money of centrelink for nothing while my pension got reduced well I'd be charging the little turd board and would make him buy all his own stuff so he'd learn a bit of responsibilty.

I never recieved a cent off centrelink because my parents income was too high, but it p$%^ed me off seeing some of my friends getting austudy payments and using the money for alcohol, flash new clothes and pot amongst other things while their parents paid everything else for them.

flyen

bye bye
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
my advice would be get into work as quick as you can

when your 20 you will be glad you did because when you leave school and have to get a job you will actuall have experience in the work place. Thats what future employers look for experience in the work place. Even if you have to do some vollunteer work it's like gold on your resume.

Trust me any work is better than none, and you might actually enjoy it. I know it will be scary at first but work is rewarding and will give you confidence for the future.

Centre link should not be thought as a given, think of it as a priverlage and a last resort. BTW i was on centrelink for 2 years so dont reply i dont know what its like to be on centrelink with no money.

think positive champ and you'll be ok:thumbsup:

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
VKStevo said:
hey mate, im guessing your mum is struggling to make money, is that coz she's incapable of working or just cant find work?
im not sure why people are saying that shes incapable of working. she works most days of the week from about 9 till 5. its all good now with the help of centrelink.. until 4 months away, then were going to struggle. mums done most of the maths and even with her working most of the day its still not going to to be good enough. she wants to find more work or a better job. im with you Dragz.. F Centrelink!

thanx heaps again for all the feedback :thumbsup: