Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Youth Allowance

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
hey all,
at the moment i am 15 turning 16 in december. i live with my mum with no brothers or sisters. when i turn 16 centerlink will be cutting mums pension and were gonna be living life the hard way. mates have been telling me that when you turn 16 you get youth allowance which is about $150-$200 a fortnight to help you with whatever. so i went and asked mum if that was true and she told me that she can and will be claiming it instead of me :cry:. i felt like i was getting the rough end of the stick so i did a few searches on the net and found nothing about that my mum could claim it. now i feel like im gettin the sharp end of the stick. if anyone has any info on this that would help heaps. thanx...

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
when you fill in the forms you have the option of the money going into your personal bank account, you need your mum to tick that little box and sign it otherwise your money will go automatically into her account.

edit: you don't automatically get youth allowance when you turn 16, you have to apply for it, do it as soon as you turn 16 otherwise you'll lose out money you were entitled too.. they might still backpay you a couple of weeks though.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
you are getting the sharp end of the stick and im talking from a very bad expreience dude, when i was 15 turning 16 the same thing happened to me now i dont know what your relationship is like with your mother but myne screwed me over something chronic she can only recive paymen upon your acceptance now my mum told me you accept or im sending you to live in the country with your father so i buckled and signed she then went ahead and collected well over $2000 in entitlments that we werent supposed to get because i was working a part time job and then when it came time that centerlink send the debt collectors after the money about a year had passed i turned 17 and i was left holding the bag while her responcibilitys were nill beacuse i had signed for it they told me its either pay up or we take your car.

now as i said i dont know how your relationship is with your mother she is most likly not the kinda person that would do that to her own son and i dont want to start arguments between the two of you but this is what happened to me i am only telling you from my experience be carefull make sure you make it clear with centerlink that these entitlments are correct and let them know any money you are getting from a part time job etc

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
yeah, that sucks big time evil_monkey. my relationship with my mum is pretty good dispite all the ups and downs over the years but i can see all this bullshit about centrelink cutting mums pension is gonna turn things nasty. but serioisly.. when you turn 16+ you need more money than ever before to get you started for life and mum taking my youth allowance isnt gonna help anything. ok.. not my fault she dropped out of skool at year 9 or 10 and has worked **** jobs we live in a rented house because of that. now she is worried that were not going to be able to do much becuase of food + rent will take away most of our money. ok.. were going to have to make sacrifices here and there but taking away my money i dont see is very fair. all my mates are putting their youth allowance into their cars or getting a car but where is mine going.. to my mum. i will try and talk to her again about it and see what happens.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
azzfox said:
but serioisly.. when you turn 16+ you need more money than ever before to get you started for life QUOTE]

So true! You need to get some sort of money... Start saving up, stuff to do with school, books etc, food, all that and for the future (getting a car etc etc).
Center link wont give me anything because my dad earns too much apparently and i have to prove that im 'independant'... I see why and everything, but its a bit unfair, other people my age getting 200 a week and ive got hardly any money to do anything! im forced to eat at home cause costs too much to go out... doesnt help that i got expensive taste haha... arghh, not good!

hope everythin works out alright for ya man!

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
If it's really an issue, you can get a job and your mum can get a reduced amount, even if your still at school

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
mate, come to an agreement with your mum, half and half maybe? unless you want to move out of home and fend for yourself.

the car isnt a big deal if you cant eat. priorities mate.

all my youth allowance went to my parents, coz i didnt care about having money to buy stuff. i got the money i needed and thats it. if i needed extra, i got it.

and your mums gonna have to start looking for work when you turn 16, because of new centrelink crap, so she might even pick up something to bring in some more pay.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
All my money since I've been on centrelink has gone to my parents.
If I ever "needed" something, I got it...

Theres a thing in life that you will understand mate, it's "Needs" An "Wants"

You get what you need.

You dream an earn yourself, what you want in life.

Cheers
MaT

daveb8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
azzfox said:
yeah, that sucks big time evil_monkey. my relationship with my mum is pretty good dispite all the ups and downs over the years but i can see all this bullshit about centrelink cutting mums pension is gonna turn things nasty. but serioisly.. when you turn 16+ you need more money than ever before to get you started for life and mum taking my youth allowance isnt gonna help anything. ok.. not my fault she dropped out of skool at year 9 or 10 and has worked **** jobs we live in a rented house because of that. now she is worried that were not going to be able to do much becuase of food + rent will take away most of our money. ok.. were going to have to make sacrifices here and there but taking away my money i dont see is very fair. all my mates are putting their youth allowance into their cars or getting a car but where is mine going.. to my mum. i will try and talk to her again about it and see what happens.

doesnt sound like she has much of a choice dude. if she doesnt pay for those things with ur youth allowance, where is the money going to come from? sure it sucks, but it doesnt sound like there is a way for it be fair. rent and bills need to be paid. would i be correct if i said she would like you to have your youth allowance?

are you working? if you get a job as a casual you can earn $100 a week which is a reasonable amount for going out etc. it will take a long time to save up for a car which is annoying but it it seems your options are limited

Tom04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2
who buys your food? who buys ya clothes? who pays for most of ya stuff? if its not you well then thats what you mum is goin to be using the youth allowence for now that she doesnt get what she was gettin b4 you turned 16.

maybe you should come to an agreement that when you go out and stuff your mum gives you some spending money. that would be fair