Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

YouTube is down

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Interesting.

Looks like they hide as long you guys play along.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yeah but the govener general, being the queens representative, sack the elected government of the time so the royal influence isn’t negligible o_O

The release of the letters between John Kerr and Her Madge has shown that she followed his recommendations, and that his personal judgement exceeded his public duties responsibilities.

At the request of the PM?

At the request of the Leader of the Opposition (Malcolm Fraser) in reality.

“Ladies and gentlemen, well may we say 'God Save the Queen', because nothing will save the Governor-General.” > PM Gough Whitlam. 11 Nov 1975.
Gough was probably the best PM we had. Shame that he was surrounded by self serving dick-heads belonging to both sides of politics.

If Utub is working, his speech is there. Look for a grinning Norman Gunston in the background.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I wonder when Donald Trump leaves office if twitter will ban him?
If they did and he moved Parler that would be a big boost for Parler.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
At least, in the US we get the choice of not voting.

We have that choice in Aus too.

The only legal obligation is to have your name crossed off the electoral at a voting place during an election.

What you do with the ballot papers thereafter is up to you.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I see, I thought AU was mandatory you like it or not. Thanks for the correction, noted.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The release of the letters between John Kerr and Her Madge has shown that she followed his recommendations, and that his personal judgement exceeded his public duties responsibilities.

At the request of the Leader of the Opposition (Malcolm Fraser) in reality.
The GG is the Queens representative so she must accept all responsibility for his behaviour and his actions in the sacking... regardless of the fact the GG didn’t notify the Queen prior to the sacking and regardless of whether she would have followed any advice or any recommendations given or not. He did it on her watch... It’s accountability and it’s lacking within monarchies, political parties of all persuasion and corporate executives :eek:
Gough was probably the best PM we had. Shame that he was surrounded by self serving dick-heads belonging to both sides of politics.

If Utub is working, his speech is there. Look for a grinning Norman Gunston in the background.
If the monarchy didn’t exist, then that mechanism to sack an elected government that provided universal health care and free education to all Australians probably couldn’t have occurred.

Other than fodder for gossip, I really can’t see any benefit to having a monarchy... I’d toss them out and tax them into poverty so they can experiance how the less privileged within society live.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
"The Australian republic referendum held on 6 November 1999 was a two-question referendum to amend the Constitution of Australia. The first question asked whether Australia should become a republic with a President appointed by Parliament following a bi-partisan appointment model which had been approved by a half-elected, half-appointed Constitutional Convention held in Canberra in February 1998."

We had our chance, and it was knocked back. Which PM or pollie has the guts to get it up again.
Mr. Trumbull (sic) was all talk and no action when he could have kicked it along.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Whitlam arranged to meet up with GG to request a 1/2 senate election to resolve issues of senate denying supply but was instead sacked and Frasier (leader of the opposition) was sworn in as (an unelected) PM.

Where ever the push came from, the crown‘s representative executed the sacking on behalf of the crown, removing the will of the people in the process.

Sounds to me like he was an idiot and basically told the GG that he didn't have enough votes in the house to pass a confidence and supply motion and therefore didn't have enough votes to sustain a stable government. At that point the GG had no option but to dissolve the existing government. If the opposition gave a viable alternative with enough votes (even if it was in the minority) then they could legally govern.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sounds to me like he was an idiot and basically told the GG that he didn't have enough votes in the house to pass a confidence and supply motion and therefore didn't have enough votes to sustain a stable government. At that point the GG had no option but to dissolve the existing government. If the opposition gave a viable alternative with enough votes (even if it was in the minority) then they could legally govern.
I wouldn‘t call Gough an idiot... though like both/all sides of politics, I recognise they are all smart, self serving backstabbing politicians, but not idiots.

With Whitlam, I simply like his governments policies of universal health care and free education...

As for that day, there was other stuff going on in the background with Frasier waiting by the sideline ready to be sworn in... before Whitlan even turned up and was sacked.

Here’s one timeline https://dismissed.moadoph.gov.au/act-three.html

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
^^^ agree ...... all the good work by Whitlam initially (calling full time on our VietNam involvement) was undone by his cabinet ministers with dodgy financial deals, suspected sex scandals, incompetence, and gravy train expectations.

If the Labor Party was running a car in the 1975 Bathurst 1000, Gough could have been leading by 10 laps, and when the first pit stop was due, his crew would have been out the back with the scantily clad birds, BBQ, and beers, after selling his tyres and fuel to the highest bidder.

Fraser's greatest legacy (as our PM) was helping Robert Mugabe become president of Zimbabwe ........ that was a real achievement to be remembered.