Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Z-Bar bushes

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi All

I had the front tyres replaced yesterday -been told the Z - bar bushes need replacing. The car feels fine to drive, no clunks/pulls yet I'm told it's going to cost between $350 - $450 to have them replaced. I'd like to know whether to just do the Z Bar bushes or the whole lot? Travelled 98000 km

Really appreciate your advice - I'm not into performance - just comfort and good maintenance.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Buy them online and replace them yourself. Really easy to do in the VZ. Get some Nolathane or SuperPro ones.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Not_An_Abba_Fan and lowandslow

Thank you both for taking the time to reply - that YT video is excellent - I had no idea it was that easy. I don't have chassis stands or a dolly, however I'll pick these up and get to it. I don't want a rough ride, so what should I be buying - Nolothane or SuperPro?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
There much of a muchness mate. It's more of a personal brand preference really. I'm in the superpro camp because when i was looking at bushes many moons ago nolathane had a bad rep due to cracking/perishing of bushes. These bushes are probably the ones which you want to be the firmest as they do cop a lot of loading.

You can make a dolly out of anything solid that will fit and you don't mind hitting with a hammer!

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
ive never changed them but they are easy too do,, But isint a wheel alignment required after changing them. I might be wrong just putting it out there

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i just did mine in the VX today.fitted polytuff's adjustable caster version after my roady man made me hit the brake as i drove into his workshop and my wheels moved 2.5" back in the gaurd under braking LOL.ive also added caster have over 9'57" now and it handles better than it ever has.its also removed all the front end dive under braking with the caster.and it drives round corners like there is no corner.total cost for both sides $227NZ .you will need a wheel alignment afterwards i went from 0.6mm of toe in each side to 2.8mm on both sides from fitting the new bush plates

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Folks
Just got back from Repco - bought Nolathane 48166 /48019 kits (48166 is the adjustable type). Going to borrow the torque wrench and stands from my Father-in-law who is a retired diesel mechanic with lots of tools. Paid $217.00 inc for 48166 and $40 for 48019 - (would have been cheaper online of course). Got 10% RACQ discount which saves about $35 on the invoice.

As a run-up, I'm hitting the radius bolts with WD40 for a couple of days in the hope that I can get them undone. They are pretty clean so hopefully the WD will have penetrated right in there by the time I get on the job. My plan for the CA bushes is to insert a big fat bolt in the collar, cut the lip off the front side and hit it through.

While I was there, I bought a few bottles of Castrol Edge 5W-30 - (got to do oil and filter change on this and also on my 04 Tarago). I went with this because of the recommendations here - I see a few are using it in their Alloytech's and are happy. Planning to run oil flush through before the change.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and recommendations - saved me a lot of time and money. Further comments or suggestions welcome..

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Just take your time mate and you'll be right. Even use your phone to take a few photos of the disassembly in case you forget how it goes back together.