Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB 2 litre...timing belt or chain?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks mate. All I am now concerned about is Holden's demise. That alters the picture a lot,

In its own right the ZB is ok. Issue is they will be worthless in years to come but if a buyer was old enough and not bothered that in a few years it will be like the Camira was and be a car that you would only be able to given away because no one will want it, then it's a decent proposition. Personally given the way the depreciation will be on one you could probably wait another three years and pick one up for $5-6k

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The 3.8 Buick-derived engines were all pushrod. The VY release saw the use of the first OHC since the VL Nissan motor.

OMG, please actually do some research before shooting your mouth off. The Buick V6 along with the Ecotec variant uses a Cam chain (effectively a timing chain as well) and as Losh said Holden did away with gear driven cams at the end of VK if we are talking 6 cylinders. V8's always used chains.

VY's had no OHC, again do some research old timer as it was the VZ model that introduced an over head valve train that was chain driven in the Alloytec engine. Just hate it when people gob off and get it all wrong.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
If you go back & read page 2 you will find the timing chain debate has been settled.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep didn't realise that this bullshite went on for another page when I responded so my apologies for that bit, but the fact remains about gobbing off doesn't it.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
It was an interesting argument though, it seems to have been all based around terminology, but if I recall correctly back at Bathurst in 1986 one Mr Brock brought his V8 VK into the pits with an expired engine and his exact terminology was "the single row timing chain which is all we are allowed to use under Group A regulations snapped like a carrot". This is exactly the same set up as used in the OHV Buick / Ecotec V6. American engineering.

Even Peter Brock called it a "Timing Chain" as did everyone else within the industry.

Anyway time to move on.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Yeah I can understand that mate but what do you buy instead ? Kia Stinger 2.0 turbo, Mazda 6 turbo ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stock Stinger will beat a stock VF SS. But having known people who own a Stinger the build quality is pretty poor for the price of the vehicle.