Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB 2 litre...timing belt or chain?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The 3.8 Buick-derived engines were all pushrod. The VY release saw the use of the first OHC since the VL Nissan motor.

Hmmm strange because the list of parts i replaced with my new rockers and pushrods was timing chain and timing chain gears. Are you saying my mech didn't really replace my timing chain, like he said he did? VY with an OHC??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Based on your knowledge of Holden engines I think a ZB will suit you just fine.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Hmmm strange because the list of parts i replaced with my new rockers and pushrods was timing chain and timing chain gears. Are you saying my mech didn't really replace my timing chain, like he said he did? VY with an OHC??
Oops! My bad...the VZ was the first with OHC on the "Alloytec" engine. The VY carried over the last iteration of the Buick-derived V6. All the Buick-derived engines were OHV. You can check if you'd like to do a bit of Googling. I don't know what your mechanic did...maybe he was referring to the serpentine belt that engine has. But there's no timing chain on the 3.8 as far as I know.

Last edited:

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Based on your knowledge of Holden engines I think a ZB will suit you just fine.
Mate...I've had my hands in the guts of Holden engines since the late 60s. I don't know why you are taking the Mickey.

If you were charged for a timing belt/chain on a 3.8 perhaps the ZB would suit you too. :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Just in case you misread what I wrote.
Let me clarify... AFAIK there is no chain inside the Buick-derived 3.8 V6. They were, all of them, pushrod overhead valve engines. So if you own a car with the 3.8 and you were charged for a timing chain I'd be asking questions.

Last edited:

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Here's a picture of the 3.8 showing the serpentine belt with the tensioner position. There is no timing chain that I can see.
95D14624.gif

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok then what drives the cam that makes the rods go up and down, that pushes on the rockers to open the valves?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Let me clarify... AFAIK there is no chain inside the Buick-derived 3.8 V6. They were, all of them, pushrod overhead valve engines. So if you own a car with the 3.8 and you were charged for a timing chain I'd be asking questions.

The Buick derived 3.8 V6 most definitely has a timing chain to drive the camshaft from the crankshaft. The balance shaft is in turn driven from the camshaft by gears.