Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB 2 litre...timing belt or chain?

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
The 3.8 Buick-derived engines were all pushrod. The VY release saw the use of the first OHC since the VL Nissan motor.
That would be VZ

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Here's a pic of the 3.8 V6 showing the timing chain.
3.8 V6 Timing chain.JPG

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Here's a pic of the 3.8 V6 showing the timing chain.View attachment 209368
Here's a pic of the 3.8 V6 showing the timing chain.View attachment 209368
Well...I've never been one to be pig headed about being wrong so I stand corrected. I always believed that OHV meant no timing chain...just a timing gear set, as in the Holden straight 6's that I am very familiar with, having torn a few apart and rebuilt them over the years. Every straight 6 I ever saw back in the 60s had timing gears. Thanks for the correction. And thanks to all who elucidated me about the ZB having a chain. I know there are many here who hate the ZB with a vengeance but that it really illogical in my book...why? It wasn't Opel (now PSA) who killed Holden. It was the CEO of GM US... Mary Bara who acted ruthlessly to basically ream the company to a skeleton of its former self. Add to that one Tony Abbot and Joe Hockey and the GM US beancounters who took the final government subsidy and did not do as they promised, instead sheeting the money back home to Detroit.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the previous GM engineers and senior Australian staff who really believed in Holden and did amazing things with bugger-all money from the parent corporation. Everyone in the world knows that the best rear-drive engineers worked at either Holden or Ford Australia. It's a pity that a succession of US Holden CEOs who had no real love of the company allowed stupid decisions to be made and money to be wasted. Just think of what could have been if the Zeta platform was spun off as a medium and large SUV (which would have been relatively easy to do). Holden might very well still be in the race.

My decision (almost made) to sell my VF Evoke wagon with 55,000 kay on the ODO is not because I hate the car. I love the car (apart from it being a bit sluggish on take off) but we are both retired, our beautiful Staffy has now passed away and we want something with all the safety goodies, a far amount of grunt, good economy and Android connection to the the AV screen so we can put Waze up for when we do our country runs. I don't see why there is so much hatred directed at the ZB. I've driven the 1.9. It has far more zip than the Evoke, handles very well (a tribute to the handling gurus at Holden) and all the safety dodads work. Having driven a TJ Magna 3.5 V6 which could, rarely, exhibit a bit of front wheel grab and steer, the ZB is lightyears in front. To me I can't tell that it is front wheel drive. So...all the naysayers here...just what do you have against a car which, if it had been called "Insignia" I'm sure would have had a less-jaundiced eye for.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... But there's no timing chain on the 3.8 as far as I know.
Something must drive the cam which either operater directly on the valves in an overhead cam arrangement or on rockers via pushroads on an overhead valve arrangement.

What drives the cams can either be gears or cogs and chain, such being under metal covers thus considered internal to the engine. Alternatively a cam belt, external to an engine but undr platic covers, drives overhead cams.

Whatever the case, whatever the engine, something makes the cam go round and round and thus the valves go up and down, unless we are talking of exotic engines with pneumatic valves ;) :p

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
If you read my post I corrected myself and wrote about the VZ with the Alloytec engine being OHC. But thanks for your interest.
Yep. My bad

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Wow! Friendly much?
1. The ZB is more powerful (2 litre compared to the 3 litre in the VF) with better torque.
2. It is more economical that the VF.
3. You can pick up an "RS" model with all the safety goodies, balance of new car warranty, better audio / nav /android connectivity with with less than ten kay on the odo for around 25-29 grand whereas the new list price is around the forty mark, from memory. Yes...heaps of depreciation but then a lot of cars depreciate terribly over the first couple of years anyway. I'm an old fart so this would likely be my last car ever. So you wanna hit me again with the sarcasm?
2.0 is a really good engine, built very strong, heaps of low end torque and it runs super smooth and has very good power. RS is the pick of the ZB range in my opinion. Ignore the haters mate. Its a very good car for mid - late 20's.
I am speaking from experience having driven an LT with the 2.0 turbo engine for 7 weeks. In many ways its a better engine than the V6. More details here https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/ltg/

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
2.0 is a really good engine, built very strong, heaps of low end torque and it runs super smooth and has very good power. RS is the pick of the ZB range in my opinion. Ignore the haters mate. Its a very good car for mid - late 20's.
I am speaking from experience having driven an LT with the 2.0 turbo engine for 7 weeks. In many ways its a better engine than the V6. More details here https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/ltg/
How good is the turbo 4 cylinder? see the item linked to your link:
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/01/gm-ecotec-dragster-is-the-worlds-fastest-four-cylinder-video/
If it is the same block it must be strong.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Thanks mate. All I am now concerned about is Holden's demise. That alters the picture a lot,