Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB 2 litre...timing belt or chain?

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Hi all... I have been looking at a plain Jane ZB Commodore to replace my VF Evoke wagon. The Evoke has done a shade over 55,000 k and it looks, feels and still smells new. I love the car but the engine does feel a bit underdone. The other reason to replace the VF is that our beloved elderly pooch has passed away and we really don't need such a big car anymore. Anyway...I digress. I have Googled this question and can't find a straight answer. Does the LT 2 litre motor have a timing belt or chain? I did use the forum search utility but nothing turned up.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Looking at pictures of the LTG it's a chain. Very few engines use belts now because it's difficult to use cam phasers for variable valve timing with them and they're "supposed" to be a lifetime part to keep the maintenance down.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Looking at pictures of the LTG it's a chain. Very few engines use belts now because it's difficult to use cam phasers for variable valve timing with them and they're "supposed" to be a lifetime part to keep the maintenance down.
Thanks _R_J_K_ Much appreciated. This helps with my decision.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I'm curious as to why it makes a difference from an owners point of view whether timing belt or a timing chain is used.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
Have you ever changed a timing belt? PITA. I'm very please with having a chain. :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'm curious as to why it makes a difference from an owners point of view whether timing belt or a timing chain is used.
It's kind of an exxy service item if you're paying somebody to change it for you (although chains are only an advantage if car companies don't cheap out on them). Water pump is often behind the belt too so if that goes it's more work.

Have you ever changed a timing belt? PITA. I'm very please with having a chain. :)
Depends on the car, there are a lot which are terrible. The one on my old Excel was super simple, could do it in about two hours.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Go find something different. ZB should never have been released and unless it's free you will probably going to get reamed in depreciation. Even if it's free you still probably will be.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Have you ever changed a timing belt? PITA.

Have you ever owned an Alloytec V6 made between 2006 and May 2008, now tell me that they never need a timing chain replaced and when the do they aren't the biggest PITA ???????

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you ever owned an Alloytec V6 made between 2006 and May 2008, now tell me that they never need a timing chain replaced and when the do they aren't the biggest PITA ???????

VR Buicks used cheap arse chains too. PITA is an understatement on a Buick. My wallet was lightened by $2k inc parts to replace mine. VL is the go, damn easy replacement on those I am lead to believe, slice and slide is what I believe you can do on a VL. Mine VL has over 150k and was still on original belt.