Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Calais Tourer, yes, no?

Jarad Wilkinson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Seies 2 Sportswagon
Hi,

I currently have a VFII Evoke sportswagon and looking at the ZB Calais Tourer (2018) with remainder of 5yr warranty. After real world reviews, from those who have experience with the ZB. I’ve heard some mixed reviews. There doesn’t seem to be much else in the price bracket for wagon these days, so many SUV’s now. From what I’ve seen advertised, $28,000-$31,000 seems to be the go for a 2018 model with 30,000-50,000km on the dial.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi,

I currently have a VFII Evoke sportswagon and looking at the ZB Calais Tourer (2018) with remainder of 5yr warranty. After real world reviews, from those who have experience with the ZB. I’ve heard some mixed reviews. There doesn’t seem to be much else in the price bracket for wagon these days, so many SUV’s now. From what I’ve seen advertised, $28,000-$31,000 seems to be the go for a 2018 model with 30,000-50,000km on the dial.

i dont have the tourer but i do have a v6 zb and they are a great vehicle to drive, they handle well and are decent for long driving.
the only issues i had with it was the stop/start technology which i disabled and the chrome trim around the shifter reflecting the sun which i wrapped.

if i was given the option of a ve, vf or zb i would choose the zb all day long and in the last 14 years i have owned 4 ve's and 5 vf's and the zb i have now is just a better vehicle to drive daily.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I’d imagine it’d be pretty good. Mine is an RSV wagon so a few cm lower and no plastic cladding but otherwise similar. Other than a little less spacious I prefer it to a VF SV6 as an example - having hired a few.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
I own a Calais V Tourer and really like it. There really isn't another car on the market to compare the AWD ZB to. Would I buy one today? Only if it had very low km and was very cheap and my reason for this is purely based on the fact there is NO dealer support so the warranty is not much good when you are waiting for months if something goes wrong. If you want AWD and a V6 it is your only choice really but if you don't mind FWD and 4cyl I would look at a Mazda 6 or Subaru Liberty.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If you want AWD and a V6 it is your only choice really but if you don't mind FWD and 4cyl I would look at a Mazda 6 or Subaru Liberty.

Liberty/Levorg are not FWD (they're AWD) and they also have the option of coming in a flat 6 and turbo flat 4 depending on what you get. I believe there haven't been any FWD Subarus for years (since the end of the 90s). IMHO the support and availability of parts for Subarus would be much better too.

Last edited:

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
The Liberty/Outback steers like a supertanker, has unsupportive seats, a really wallowy ride, and finally the engine has asthmatic power delivery and sucks fuel like there's no tomorrow.

Compared with the ZB wagon it's like comparing last century Japanese engineering with modern German engineering, probably because you are.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
it's like comparing last century Japanese engineering with modern German engineering, probably because you are.

When was the last time you drove one a similar era one? Plus the Outback and Liberty/Levorg are totally different offerings (Outback is a soft-roader and the Liberty/Levorg are road cars), you can't drive one and make a determination on the other (or all of the variants of the engines offered), not to mention they're still selling updated versions of both now so they're not that last century, selling better than the ZB.

Last edited:

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
When was the last time you drove one a similar era one? Plus the Outback and Liberty/Levorg are totally different offerings (Outback is a soft-roader and the Liberty/Levorg are road cars), you can't drive one and make a determination on the other (or all of the variants of the engines offered), not to mention they're still selling updated versions of both now so they're not that last century, selling better than the ZB.

Drove a new demo 2019 Legacy 3.6RS last year while I was evaluating cars including the Commodore, drove my mates 2020 Outback about 5 weeks ago. I will concede the point about the Levorg, it's based on the Imprezza/WRX chassis and while it has faults it is a reasonably good car.

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
I own a Calais V Tourer & love driving it. It ticked all the boxes for me - Wagon, leather, V6, Carplay.
I came from a VF SS Sportwagon.

Would I buy one today? Only if it had very low km and was very cheap

I strongly agree with this. There was a point where you couldnt give one of these away. $30K seems excessive for something with 30-50K km on it