Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore Dead Man Walking

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Maybe Buettners cunning plan is to buy on 2019 models while he still tries to flog off 2018 models.

Then he can discount the 2019 models in 2020 as he ll be in oversupply.

However Commie seems to be selling steadily at 500 a months. But who is buying them. I see a lot on the Gc but they are mainly rentals.
Anybody in the know what part of the market is buying 500 Commies a month?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Maybe Buettners cunning plan is to buy on 2019 models while he still tries to flog off 2018 models.

Then he can discount the 2019 models in 2020 as he ll be in oversupply.

However Commie seems to be selling steadily at 500 a months. But who is buying them. I see a lot on the Gc but they are mainly rentals.
Anybody in the know what part of the market is buying 500 Commies a month?

possibly fleet buyers , perhaps people are warming up to them also .

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Do you have proof these are 2019 plated cars? Or are these just 2018 models that have been sitting overseas since last year?
Still only 2018 models advertised anywhere in the new cars section on car sites. You'd think if the 2019's had landed they'd be advertising and taking orders......
No Cars would sit overseas as they are shipped as soon as they are built. Not many 2019 but they are here :)

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
No Cars would sit overseas as they are shipped as soon as they are built. Not many 2019 but they are here :)
Holden said themselves last year they had a ZB stockpile overseas..........
You're still not saying how you know for sure there are 2019 ones.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden said themselves last year they had a ZB stockpile overseas..........
You're still not saying how you know for sure there are 2019 ones.

Did Holden say that or thew media speculating?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
All I know for sure is when I was talking to the salesman at my local he said my only options were he could get me a 2018 model straight away or he'd have to call around and try to find a 2019 complied one from somewhere. A 2019 built one wasn't a choice.
So that's why I think there aren't any 2019 built ones. Unless like someone else said, they want to sell the pre October 18 ones first.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
IIRC, the compliance plate isn't attached to the vehicle until its landed and cleared customs in Oz. Even 2019 compliance vehicles are likely to be 2018 build. Any sales from the backlog would be taken from the oldest stock on hand, unless specific options meant that more recently produced cars had to be taken ahead of older vehicles.
As an example, we know that diesels have been slow sellers and are being dropped. Imagine how old an unsold diesel might be. The ZB was in production before VF2 production ceased. Allowing for advance orders, manufacture, shipping and delivery delays, any very early ZB diesels still unsold could well be late 2017 builds, older than the last VF's.

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
IIRC, the compliance plate isn't attached to the vehicle until its landed and cleared customs in Oz. Even 2019 compliance vehicles are likely to be 2018 build. Any sales from the backlog would be taken from the oldest stock on hand, unless specific options meant that more recently produced cars had to be taken ahead of older vehicles.
As an example, we know that diesels have been slow sellers and are being dropped. Imagine how old an unsold diesel might be. The ZB was in production before VF2 production ceased. Allowing for advance orders, manufacture, shipping and delivery delays, any very early ZB diesels still unsold could well be late 2017 builds, older than the last VF's.

The ZB went on sale in February 2018. Some cars were here in the months prior for media release but there weren't too many being built while the VF was still being manufactured. Holden stockpiled the VF to get them through until the ZB arrived in February. It usually takes 6 weeks to sail from Europe to Australia in a RO/RO vessel.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The ZB went on sale in February 2018. Some cars were here in the months prior for media release but there weren't too many being built while the VF was still being manufactured. Holden stockpiled the VF to get them through until the ZB arrived in February. It usually takes 6 weeks to sail from Europe to Australia in a RO/RO vessel.
You're correct in what you say but Holden would have had to order cars in sufficient time to have them available across the country by the February release date. To fit in with the plants' production schedules, allow for transit times from Europe to Oz, be compliance, then distributed, those early vehicles would have all been 2017 build. If diesels are very slow sellers, it's quite possible that the oldest unsold diesels still in yards are actually mid to late 2017 builds.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
You're correct in what you say but Holden would have had to order cars in sufficient time to have them available across the country by the February release date. To fit in with the plants' production schedules, allow for transit times from Europe to Oz, be compliance, then distributed, those early vehicles would have all been 2017 build. If diesels are very slow sellers, it's quite possible that the oldest unsold diesels still in yards are actually mid to late 2017 builds.

I did mention 6 week transit times so the vehicles probably started around mid December 2017. I don't think there was a shitload produced before 2018. This excludes the cars that were here for pre launch.