Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore Dead Man Walking

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I did mention 6 week transit times so the vehicles probably started around mid December 2017. I don't think there was a shitload produced before 2018. This excludes the cars that were here for pre launch.
Nup, larger numbers would have been produced definitely pre mid 12/17. The release date was only 6 weeks into 2018. Your 6 week transit time only covers the time between the end of 2017 and release date. The vehicles would not have started production in December as there needed to be adequate stock on hand, distributed through Australia and ready for sale by release date. I think 6 weeks for transit, 3 to 4 weeks for landing, certification, allocation and national distribution is more likely. Production would shut down over Christmas for 2 to 3 weeks. Holden specs were different to other markets, particularly the V6 models, and they had to be programmed into the production schedule alongside Opel and Vauxhall model's. I doubt they ran production lines dedicated to each brand, so Holdens needs had to be carried out according to all brand requirements, not just theirs. This would mean a lower and longer production rate. I think I'll stick with my timetable.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Nup, larger numbers would have been produced definitely pre mid 12/17. The release date was only 6 weeks into 2018. Your 6 week transit time only covers the time between the end of 2017 and release date. The vehicles would not have started production in December as there needed to be adequate stock on hand, distributed through Australia and ready for sale by release date. I think 6 weeks for transit, 3 to 4 weeks for landing, certification, allocation and national distribution is more likely. Production would shut down over Christmas for 2 to 3 weeks. Holden specs were different to other markets, particularly the V6 models, and they had to be programmed into the production schedule alongside Opel and Vauxhall model's. I doubt they ran production lines dedicated to each brand, so Holdens needs had to be carried out according to all brand requirements, not just theirs. This would mean a lower and longer production rate. I think I'll stick with my timetable.
Do you know transport logistics? A car can come into any port of Australia abc be in a dealer within a week. The cars would of been ordered earlier than the build dates and allocation would of already been done. Once the BOM has been set for a type of vehicle model. It is easy for the production of a car and loaded on a ship within two weeks.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Do you know transport logistics? A car can come into any port of Australia abc be in a dealer within a week. The cars would of been ordered earlier than the build dates and allocation would of already been done. Once the BOM has been set for a type of vehicle model. It is easy for the production of a car and loaded on a ship within two weeks.
My knowledge of transport logistics would fit into a bottle cap. Common sense, however, I have to spare. I'm thinking of the size of this country and the need to have vehicles available at dealers nationwide by the release date. Deliveries to major ports are fine, but how long do the cars sit on the docks before being loaded for road or rail transport? Your "6 weeks" is utopian and, I think, dismissive of various stages in the transport process. Anyway, you have your views, I have mine and I'm stuffed if I'm going to waste my time arguing with a stranger over a point of view.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
My knowledge of transport logistics would fit into a bottle cap. Common sense, however, I have to spare. I'm thinking of the size of this country and the need to have vehicles available at dealers nationwide by the release date. Deliveries to major ports are fine, but how long do the cars sit on the docks before being loaded for road or rail transport? Your "6 weeks" is utopian and, I think, dismissive of various stages in the transport process. Anyway, you have your views, I have mine and I'm stuffed if I'm going to waste my time arguing with a stranger over a point of view.
So in a nutshell there are zero zb things built in 2019

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
So in a nutshell there are zero zb things built in 2019
Well, we don't know. How big is that backlog now? Sales are supposed to be around 500 per month nationally and the suspension order was issued early this year. How many cars were stockpiled at that time? 6 months at 500/month would see 3000 cars cleared. I think its likely that some 2019 build cars have landed and we know that a revised model is due for release within months. We also know that some variants will be dropped. The only easy way to know would be to check the new car compliance plates in dealerships.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride

I'm only making a point because I work in logistics. Goods don't actually take that long to move overseas to anywhere in the world these days including vehicles/Trucks/Machinery etc.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm only making a point because I work in logistics. Goods don't actually take that long to move overseas to anywhere in the world these days including vehicles/Trucks/Machinery etc.
I can appreciate your experience in an area where I have none. My experience was in management and planning. Logistics is a major element of any effective plan and allowances have to be made for the unforseen.

My original point was that any unsold diesel ZB's could well date from mid to late 2017. Holden would not have known how the various models would sell and would probably have ordered quite a few hundred diesels when the initial orders were placed with the factory. The car was already in production, so Holden's orders had to be programmed in such a way as to minimise production delays on Opels and Vauxhalls.

I therefore estimated that there would have been some months elapse between placement of initial orders and cars being on dealers forecourts by February 2018. Some of them were diesels and subsequent experience has shown that few buyers want a diesel Commodore. Depending on the number on hand on release date and the sales rate since, it's feasible that some unsold ZB diesel cars date from 2017.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

All good until this happens....

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
All good until this happens....

Or a cargo aircraft is out of balance and crashes killing all on board plus the freight.