Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore high fuel consumption reading, or high fuel consumption

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
Yesterday afternoon, i started my ZB RS, 3.6L, AWD.
Idle fuel consumption was normal, at about 1.8-2.0 L/hr.

Rolling off with no immediate acceleration, the fuel consumption readout jumped to 16L/100, to 26L/100 and then eventually to 39.9L/100, until i accelerated properly up to speed, where it then dropped to normal acceleration consumption (14L/100 - 21L/100) before settling in to 5L/100 - 8L/100 at cruise. The same high reading of 39.9L showed again when slowing at an intersection just before coming to a complete halt, which the reading then switched to the normal 1.8L/hr idle reading. There's no abnormal fuel consumption reading when accelerating from 80km/h to 100km/h.

It seems to be a 1st gear issue - both taking off and slowing down. I don't think there's a short term drivability issue, and I'll have to call Warrnambool Holden Monday.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts whether there is a definite fuel consumption issue, or computer gliche?

Link to video footage I took on my phone. Jump to around 2:20 :

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Your video is private but i would say it is just a display glitch.

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
Your video is private but i would say it is just a display glitch.

Supposedly, if I list as private I can still link it.... but I changed the settings on the video, to unlisted, so see if this works:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Supposedly, if I list as private I can still link it.... but I changed the settings on the video, to unlisted, so see if this works:

Too much strobing in that vid doing my eyes in.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
that is the instant fuel display and it should fluctuate depending on the engine rpm gear etc.
if you floor it that number should go up and if you coast to a stop it should go down etc.

that is not really the one you should be interested in for fuel consumption over distance, there should be another display that will give you the average consumption over 100km and that will be all of the combined driving styles calculated.

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
that is the instant fuel display and it should fluctuate depending on the engine rpm gear etc.
if you floor it that number should go up and if you coast to a stop it should go down etc.

that is not really the one you should be interested in for fuel consumption over distance, there should be another display that will give you the average consumption over 100km and that will be all of the combined driving styles calculated.
I know its the instant fuel display. Look at the actual reading. It's 39.9km/100 for rolling from a start, and slowing to a stop. That is not a normal reading.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I know its the instant fuel display. Look at the actual reading. It's 39.9km/100 for rolling from a start, and slowing to a stop. That is not a normal reading.

i have never looked at my instant fuel, i will have to see if mine does the same.

Utetopia2015

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SII SS (Ute), ZB RS
i have never looked at my instant fuel, i will have to see if mine does the same.
Its never read that high on rolling - as in, taking your foot off the brake from a complete stop and rolling forward. Like I say, once it gains speed, and i continue to accelerate, the acceleration readings are normal - up to 16L/100 - 21L/100 (depending on how hard I accelerate.