Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore LED Upgrade

DK's

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Sportwagon 2018
Nah no code issues here but I haven't driven a whole lot since installing them except to test.

Edit: Spoke too soon mine popped up with an error. If I can just press Ok to get rid of it not too fussed but there may be a way to turn it off?

My error seems to pop up twice before it clears. It now comes up as soon as I start it up.

Think I'll send the seller a message and ask if they know how to rectify.

The good, very happy with the light output. I went for a country drive tonight to really test out.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Wondering if I should consider some of these globes in spite if the canbus problem?

How annoying is the error message, i.e does it just flash up when you start the car and then go away if you press 'OK'?

Or does it keep chiming as you drive along?

Thanks, Matt

DK's

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Sportwagon 2018
Mine comes up pretty much straight away on start up. Generally comes up once more. Don't see it again until restart.

I'm thinking of trying out a LED canbus decoder. I sent a message to the seller re: the LEDs, they couldn't help and suggested I send them back. Lights are fine, just need to work out how to trick canbus.

DK's

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Sportwagon 2018

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
..Only done the low beams so far as high beams are a PITA to get to and ran out of time. Night and day difference between the stock halogens and LED's.

.. Did the high beams tonight and they are an improvement but not as much as the low beams...

Your stock high beam light pattern looks to have marginally more height and reach than your LED upgraded low beam light pattern which thenselves have a geater height and reach than the stock low beams...

So judging by the pictures you've posted, i'd think you'd be blinding a lot of oncoming cars with your low beam LEDs... which is probably why they are illegal on road vehicles.

VertAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore 2.0T
Your stock high beam light pattern looks to have marginally more height and reach than your LED upgraded low beam light pattern which thenselves have a geater height and reach than the stock low beams...

So judging by the pictures you've posted, i'd think you'd be blinding a lot of oncoming cars with your low beam LEDs... which is probably why they are illegal on road vehicles.

Look at the pictures again closely. The patterns are very similar, simply the LED's are a lot brighter and hence the edges are more lit up. The LED bulbs are in exactly the same position as the stock bulbs but the emitters are pointing more to the side's of the reflector not all the way around.

Haven't had anyone flash or beep me at night. Care to link me the legislation showing they are illegal in WA? The stock lights are borderline dangerous for not being able to see further than 10m.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Look at the pictures again closely. The patterns are very similar, simply the LED's are a lot brighter and hence the edges are more lit up. The LED bulbs are in exactly the same position as the stock bulbs but the emitters are pointing more to the side's of the reflector not all the way around.

Haven't had anyone flash or beep me at night. Care to link me the legislation showing they are illegal in WA? The stock lights are borderline dangerous for not being able to see further than 10m.
I did take a good look at the pictures and it does seem that the beam pattern is a little higher, LED verses stock low beam.

The fact no other blinded driver has flashed you at night may not be as meaningful as you think. It may simply be that the other driver doesn't want to have two blinded drivers heading towards each other on the same streach of road :eek: That's why i dont flash others in such situations at night ;)

It may just be the photos aren't true to life, so, you could take another car and drive towards your car with LED low beams. That way you'd check it out from an on coming cars perspective and answer the question whether you could blind an oncoming driver.

As to the legislation, it's the lighting ADR's (which now reference the Euro rules). I believe the low beam lamp output has requirements around light spread and pattern and anything over a certain lumens requires lamp levelers and washers. Also, light spread and pattern is controlled and certification is made for the assembly with standard globe. By placing non standard globe, the lamp assemblies no longer compy.That's why such products usually have some disclaimer that the product is not for road use.

These's more freedom with high beams since they are designed to flood the road and usage rules means the driver must dip to low beams if an oncoming car is within 200m(?).

I'll see if i can provide a link to the relevant ADR & sections.

If your low beams are poor, may be the first port of call should be the dealers.

And just because something is available for sale, doesn;t mean it's safe to actually buy and use (those stupid magnetic balls kids make shapes with are an idea example).

[updated] @VertAU, see this and later posts for some ADR lighting discussions.

Last edited:

DK's

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Sportwagon 2018
A quick update, the resistor gets unbelievably hot within a minute of the lights being on. They worked as in the error was not present. I've had a couple of days to think on it and I'm just not comfortable using the JW resistor decoder.

They were going to have to modify for them to fit which was removing the headlights and then drilling through the headlight socket. I still can't believe how hot this thing gets.

I've done more research and I've just ordered this https://www.amazon.com.au/Philips-18952C2-Globe/dp/B07C5PN1LH. Apparently runs way cooler and should be able to just sit inside the dust cover.

At least I can return for a refund if not suitable.

So will update again next week.

VertAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore 2.0T
A quick update, the resistor gets unbelievably hot within a minute of the lights being on. They worked as in the error was not present. I've had a couple of days to think on it and I'm just not comfortable using the JW resistor decoder.

They were going to have to modify for them to fit which was removing the headlights and then drilling through the headlight socket. I still can't believe how hot this thing gets.

I've done more research and I've just ordered this https://www.amazon.com.au/Philips-18952C2-Globe/dp/B07C5PN1LH. Apparently runs way cooler and should be able to just sit inside the dust cover.

At least I can return for a refund if not suitable.

So will update again next week.

Let us know how it goes, though for $60 each I'll probably just deal with the pop up message.

DK's

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Sportwagon 2018
Let us know how it goes, though for $60 each I'll probably just deal with the pop up message.

Yeah seems the seller increased the price after purchase. I paid $47, only require one set for the low beams. Hoping it does the job, haven't been sent yet. If they work ebay has them for around $50 delivered.