Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore LED Upgrade

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’m curious as to how the vehicle system detects a headlight or other globe fault and raises a DTC or DIC message...

Presumably there must be some current detection mechanism that checks each globe on vehicle startup but which module would such a function be located and how does it work?

Service manual doesn’t give too much away (or I missed it when skimming the doc so it could be buried within obscure diagnostic details).

Anyone know?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
current detection mechanism

that is about it, the bcm detects the load on the wires because a halogen/incandescent bulb is just a short so the load can be detected reliably based on the globe size.
when you connect leds or hids there is no "short" like a traditional bulb so the load feedback is not as high and consistent and the bcm is looking for a preset load value and when that is not there it shows the error.

many people think just adding resistors will solve the issue but it is a little more involved, this is what makes up the "Headlight Decoder Canbus Load Error Canceller Anti Flicker Resistor" modules they sell on ebay.

top.jpg

bott.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
current detection mechanism
that is about it, the bcm detects the load on the wires because a halogen/incandescent bulb is just a short so the load can be detected reliably based on the globe size.
when you connect leds or hids there is no "short" like a traditional bulb so the load feedback is not as high and consistent and the bcm is looking for a preset load value and when that is not there it shows the error.

many people think just adding resistors will solve the issue but it is a little more involved, this is what makes up the "Headlight Decoder Canbus Load Error Canceller Anti Flicker Resistor" modules they sell on ebay.
But I’m not clear how the BMC which earths the headlamp relay can detect anything about the current going to the globe (and I haven’t seen any wiring diagrams as yet).

At least with VW’s it a simple byte change as shown below
Is there nothing similar for GM products?[/QUOTE]

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
But I’m not clear how the BMC which earths the headlamp relay can detect anything about the current going to the globe (and I haven’t seen any wiring diagrams as yet).

the relay is just the switch.
the detection would be done on the power provided to each bulb with something like a power transducer converting the load used into a signal that the bcm reads.

i would suspect that with the right software you could disable the message like they did in the vw.

a while ago i retro fitted a cluster from a upperspec cruze into a lower spec one and changing bytes in the eeprom disabled messages for things that were not present in the lowerspec cruze.
the cluster was not being sent the can messages it expected for those features so it was flashing errors for them and by changing the bytes to 0(null) it turned off that detection and errors resulting from it

Taki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore ZB RS Sports wagon
I tried to follow the Stooge's LED instruction but get stuck at removing original H7 bulb.
I opened the black circle cover to access the bulb. I can removed the back connector easily.
On the bulb, I can't see any spring clips that hold the bulb.
Can anyone tell me how to remove the bulb?
Should I twist it ? or force to push up or down?

It must be simple but I can't figure it out and don't want to mess up!

Taki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Awesome. Thanks DK's.
I'll have a go soon.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I tried to follow the Stooge's LED instruction but get stuck at removing original H7 bulb.
I opened the black circle cover to access the bulb. I can removed the back connector easily.
On the bulb, I can't see any spring clips that hold the bulb.
Can anyone tell me how to remove the bulb?
Should I twist it ? or force to push up or down?

It must be simple but I can't figure it out and don't want to mess up!

there is no clip they just pull out.
stick the plug back on and use it to move the bulb side to side and it will pop out.

Taki

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have successfully installed nighteye leds with a pair of H7 LED Headlight Decoder Canbus Load Error Canceller. ( I couldn't get 2nd pairs of it as Stooge recommended since ebay seller didn't have a stock )

LED worked perfectly, 100% happy. However, after 5 - 10 mins of drive, left light warning came up and after right one came up as I expected.
Once I clear it, it didn't show again anymore until I start engine again and turn the head lights on. It is frustrating but warning message colour is not red or orange so it didn't really catch my eyes.

Today I got a 2nd pair of H7 LED Headlight Decoder Canbus Load Error Canceller. I have daisy chained those and expected to error message never shows. However it still shows for both lights.

This could be silly question but I have connected red wire ( positive ) and positive & negative and negative, am I right?
If I describe it, it looks like starting from original head light black adapter + , + 1 st canbus + , + 2nd canbus +, led light +
Same thing for negative black wire = head light black adapter - , - 1st canbus -, - 2nd canbus -, led light -

Should I connect like.... + and -, + and -......?
Does anyone have idea?