Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore LED Upgrade

RS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS-V V6
Has anyone retro fitted LED bulbs in place of Halogen in the new ZB Commodore

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I'd be quite interested in this too. Presently have Osram NIghtbreaker Unlimiteds which are noticeably brighter than stock, see my other thread. But have also been considering LEDs just for the high beams. STEDI sell some for about $130 which appear to be plug and play and in theory should produce a tidy beam pattern - would be the standard H7 shape. But not sure about the way they measure the increased output - see the link below for positioning of the lux meter inside, and then outside the hotspot for LED and halogen respectively...

https://www.stedi.com.au/blog/LEDConversionHLguide/

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
In any event was thinking best might be Osrams for low beams since work a fair bit better and would appear outwardly normal. and LEDs for high beams since no-one should be looking at these too closely...

RS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS-V V6
Hello Matt,
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. You sent me a link for STEDI LED in Hoppers Crossing Victoria. I have just spoken with them and will be attending there showroom this Thursday, providing the LED's come in in time, I have a 3 hour drive to get there. They are keen to try to help as this will be there first LED into a ZB Commodore I'm told.
I had previously bought H7x4 JW Speaker LED's from Supercheap, had them fitted by an electrician, they tucked all the wiring in the headlight assembly, including the CAMBUS. Turned on the lights that night and saw some of smoke coming from the headlight area, pulled the top covers off the headlights to find the CAMBUS was just start to melt the backing of the headlight assembly, no damage done as I caught it in time. CAMBUS 'MUST' be mounted outside the headlight assembly to a metal fixture. The LED's themselves had also shaken loose whilst driving home from the auto elec's, I think they needed an adapter to hold them in place to prevent this from happening.
All this hopefully will be sorted next Thursday.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Thanks for getting back to me.

Good point about the canbus module!

Wondering, if you get a chance, take a photo of the lights shining on wall from about 30 metres, with original globes on one side and LEDs on the other. Be interesting to know exactly how much better they actually look - all very well talking about lumens and lux, but it they were for example 70 % brighter then they should LOOK 70 % brighter, in addition to having a tidy cutoff on low beam (if fitted) and no shadows on high beam.

Also, depending on quoted lumens, both high and low beam may suffer some loss with LEDs since the halogen globes have the tip painted silver to bounce light back onto the reflector, where with the LEDs any light shining forward from the LED unit will escape. Just food for thought..

If it looks good may well buy some myself.

In the meantime am in the process of fitting a 12 inch GEMTEK light bar - a bit of messing around as have to make some brackets to suspend it from the crash bar behind the bumper which is itself only a little stiffer than an icecream bucket :-(

That said, the lights weren't too bad to begin with, I just like having a hobby :)

RS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS-V V6
When I had the SP Speaker LED fitted it was like turning night into day, they were that good, rated at 2000 lumens per led, unfortunately though high beam was a bit disappointing as far as distance was concerned it did not appear to increase distance at all but sure was bright.
No cut off on high or low beams with the Speaker LED's.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
When I had the SP Speaker LED fitted it was like turning night into day, they were that good, rated at 2000 lumens per led, unfortunately though high beam was a bit disappointing as far as distance was concerned it did not appear to increase distance at all but sure was bright.
No cut off on high or low beams with the Speaker LED's.

Any feedback on the Stedi LED fitment? How they performing?

DK's

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Sportwagon 2018
Hi all,

I signed up in the hope that someone has found an affordable Led upgrade. I've had my RS since March 2019. Just ticked over 24000kms, still really wrapped with this car. But my bugbear is the poor low beam.

I can't go into another winter driving home from work with these poor lamps.

Cheers

DK.

Robdre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 RS ZB Commodore 3.6L AWD
Hi all,

I signed up in the hope that someone has found an affordable Led upgrade. I've had my RS since March 2019. Just ticked over 24000kms, still really wrapped with this car. But my bugbear is the poor low beam.

I can't go into another winter driving home from work with these poor lamps.

Cheers

DK.
I have upgraded my standard bulbs to Narva 150 plus and then tried Phillips Extreme Vision.
All I can say so far is total disappointment with both choices. The low beam is next to useless on this car.
Took my car to the RAA for headlight alignment (again), and they said it was perfect.
Glad to know at least that I am not the only one. sorry I could be more more help.