Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore LED Upgrade

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
this is how mine are setup.
i only needed 1 canbus error box on the left side and i had to use 2 on the right side.

daisyled.jpg

Taki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore ZB RS Sports wagon
Thanks, Stooge.
It looks like your drawing is exactly what I did but I'll double check it tomorrow.
Appreciate your prompt reply!

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Has anyone looked into replacing the complete halogen headlamp unit with the LED unit fitted to the Calais V and the VXR?

Is it even possible?

I suspect the sensors that feed the BCM or what ever controls the LED lights are the same ones used for AEB etc. With the CANBUS system I think it is likely the data for controlling the lights is already being fed around the system and all is required is the headlamp unit to pick the data off to make use of it, or do I have that all wrong?

Perhaps the BCM might need to have the LED data enabled?

Does anyone on here know?

For me one of the attractions to the LED headlights was their ability to adapt automatically to on coming traffic.

Last edited:

Aquaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
this is how mine are setup.
i only needed 1 canbus error box on the left side and i had to use 2 on the right side.

daisyled.jpg
Do the Canbus Load Canceller Anti Flicker Resistors need to be externally mounted on metal due to heat issues?

Aquaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
i have just finished adding low beam leds to my zb and it is a bit of a flustercuck.

i used the h7 nighteye leds that i use in the vf and these led kits need no resistors or extras to work in the vf without errors.
these same leds throw errors in the zb so i added resistor modules and that stopped the left error but not the right so i daisy chained 2 resistor modules on the right and the error went away.
so all of this points to the detection in the zb being much more sensitive than the vf and it seems that the right side is more sensitive than the left.
i will have to drive around for a few days to make sure it does not randomly decide the throw another error but so far so good.

these are not what i used but they are all basically the same and you will probably need to buy 2 sets just incase you need to daisy chain them like i did.
[/URL]

left
lh.jpg

right
rh.jpg

EDIT: i have driven it for a few hours with the leds and had a few stop/starts and it has not thrown an error so this means with this setup you can use any hid or led kit you like but i would first test with just one resistor module on each side and see how you go.
Hi Stooge, clicked on your link for the nighteye leds on ebay and when checking the vehicle compatibility, it says it wont fit a ZB Commodore. Just wondering if you needed to do any additional modifications to make them fit or do they go straight in?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Do the Canbus Load Canceller Anti Flicker Resistors need to be externally mounted on metal due to heat issues?

they are not "resistors" in the traditional sense and they do not heat up enough to be a concern so they can go inside the headlight housing.
this is what they contain and they are usually packaged in a small plastic box.
top.jpg

bott.jpg

Hi Stooge, clicked on your link for the nighteye leds on ebay and when checking the vehicle compatibility, it says it wont fit a ZB Commodore. Just wondering if you needed to do any additional modifications to make them fit or do they go straight in?

the ebay vehicle compatibility function does not work, it relies on the seller to select the vehicles and many sellers either dont select every compatible vehicle or they set it to be compatible with every vehicle and that produces incorrect results.

the zb commodore uses H7 bulbs in both the high and low beam so any H7 bulb should fit, there are some led bulbs that have stupidly large heatsinks on them and they might need to be trimmed to get the cap on in the zb but the night eyes fit without any modification.

Aquaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
they are not "resistors" in the traditional sense and they do not heat up enough to be a concern so they can go inside the headlight housing.
this is what they contain and they are usually packaged in a small plastic box.
top.jpg

bott.jpg

the ebay vehicle compatibility function does not work, it relies on the seller to select the vehicles and many sellers either dont select every compatible vehicle or they set it to be compatible with every vehicle and that produces incorrect results.

the zb commodore uses H7 bulbs in both the high and low beam so any H7 bulb should fit, there are some led bulbs that have stupidly large heatsinks on them and they might need to be trimmed to get the cap on in the zb but the night eyes fit without any modification.
Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated. I only bought my ZB on the weekend and went to Stedi this morning (10minute drive from where I live) thinking there would be a simple plug and play solution, however they started telling me I would need to alter their globes and the housing and get an auto electrician to help me with the wiring - which for someone like me sounds all too hard. I did read this thread this morning and the nighteye leds with resister modules seems to be the easiest solution I can find. I'll try low beam first and see how I go - Cheers

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks for the quick reply - much appreciated. I only bought my ZB on the weekend and went to Stedi this morning (10minute drive from where I live) thinking there would be a simple plug and play solution, however they started telling me I would need to alter their globes and the housing and get an auto electrician to help me with the wiring - which for someone like me sounds all too hard. I did read this thread this morning and the nighteye leds with resister modules seems to be the easiest solution I can find. I'll try low beam first and see how I go - Cheers

it sounds like stedi has NFI lol

the highbeams are straight forward just plugin the led and go, there is no error checking on the highbeam so you do not need any canbus error device for the high beams.

the lowbeams im my zb needed 1 canbus box on the left and 2 on the right and i have never received an error since the install months ago.
my zb is a 18 rs v6 variant and i am not sure if there will be a difference in the 19/20 models.
one of the nighteye sets in my zb are almost 2 years old now(removed from my vf lowbeam) and they are still going strong and both fans still spin.

Aquaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
i have just finished adding low beam leds to my zb and it is a bit of a flustercuck.

i used the h7 nighteye leds that i use in the vf and these led kits need no resistors or extras to work in the vf without errors.
these same leds throw errors in the zb so i added resistor modules and that stopped the left error but not the right so i daisy chained 2 resistor modules on the right and the error went away.
so all of this points to the detection in the zb being much more sensitive than the vf and it seems that the right side is more sensitive than the left.
i will have to drive around for a few days to make sure it does not randomly decide the throw another error but so far so good.

these are not what i used but they are all basically the same and you will probably need to buy 2 sets just incase you need to daisy chain them like i did.
[/URL]

left
lh.jpg

right
rh.jpg

EDIT: i have driven it for a few hours with the leds and had a few stop/starts and it has not thrown an error so this means with this setup you can use any hid or led kit you like but i would first test with just one resistor module on each side and see how you go.
When you daisy chained the two resistor modules is it just a matter of plugging one into the other or is there more to it? Looking at your picture not sure what the middle section is between the 2 modules, where it looks like braided cable?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
When you daisy chained the two resistor modules is it just a matter of plugging one into the other or is there more to it? Looking at your picture not sure what the middle section is between the 2 modules, where it looks like braided cable?

yeah it was just pluging them inline with each other to add more load.