Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore - Warning - diesel brake pads sticking to the disc rotor?

John K Harrison

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore
REAR BRAKE DISC PAD WARNING ZB COMMODORE
Just a warning. I went to reverse my ZB out of the garage - when placed in reverse and the park brake released the car sunk on the rear left side.
to cut a long story short the rear pad had become glued to the left rear rotor. The park brake released fine but the pad were stuck to the rotor.
I got the brake to release but it tore half of the face off the pad to the inner side of the rotor?
I only drive this car once or twice a month. I spoke to the local dealer and they suggest i parked the car when during wet weather in the shed which I did. They agreed this should not have happened. I eventually got the car out of the shed by going from reverse to forward to reverse to forward several times. I thought this had freed up the disc. when i went to drive down the driveway the car had an obvious problem every half meter the car would grab on the rear left disc. I eventually got the car back in the shed. I removed the calliper to reveal the damage to the disc pads.

I am now waiting to hear from the dealer as to when new pads arrive so I can have them replaced.

I'm not sure what to suggest as to how you park your ZB but I wont be applying the park brake in the garage anymore if driving in after rain?

Cheers John

Attachments

• ZB left rear disc pads .jpg
    ZB left rear disc pads .jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 228
  • ZB left rear disc rotor .jpg
    ZB left rear disc rotor .jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 20211126_153145.jpg
    20211126_153145.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 207

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Are they the original pads, or Chinese replacements made from grass clippings and Superglue ?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Are they the original pads, or Chinese replacements made from grass clippings and Superglue ?
The pad material doesn’t look very kosher, not like any pads I’ve had on my cars. I could be wrong though.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Don’t park your car that has little use with handbrake on.

John K Harrison

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore
I bought the car in February this year from Lillydale Holden. It had 15000 km on it. It was the dealers car. I am the first owner. As far as I know it has the original pads. The car now has 32000 km on the clock.
Good point I won't be parking with park brake applied in the garage

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
How hot would the brakes have been when if it was a demo vehicle. If it was a demo car it would of copped a floggin It used to be the law you must flog the guts out on every test drive.
If the brakes are stinkin hot when you park it don't put the hand brake on if you can avoid it.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The hand brake is inside the disc. It does not use the pads on the outside of the disc.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The hand brake is inside the disc. It does not use the pads on the outside of the disc.

that is what i thought but i cant find a replacement shoe for the 2018+ insignia which has me wondering did they change it to use the main caliper?

John K Harrison

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore
Anthony. I'm not sure. I am guessing but possibly the park brakes solenoid pushes against the caliper piston which forces brake fluid in the system to apply both pads.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As long as you follow guidance written within the owners manual, you shouldn’t have issues.

If the owners manual doesn’t make any references related to rain, wet brakes and such stuff around when/if to use the park brake, then it should be safe to apply the park brakes whenever parking. In fact it’s a legal requirement to apply park brakes when parking on public roads and public carparks (I don’t know if that extends to parking on private property)…

If there is an absence of such owner handbook advice, I’d say that means the dealer can’t blame owner behaviour as being the cause of the brake failure. So in these instances, if there is no statements around park brake use in the owners manual, I’d be pushing for warranty repair…