Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Commodore - Warning - diesel brake pads sticking to the disc rotor?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
German technology

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
It doesn't just happen with the diesel engine models.

I had my rear pads stick to the rotors. I washed the car and put in in the garage with the park brake on then went for planned surgery and didn't drive it for 4 weeks. It took a fair bit of effort (abuse) to get them to let go. When they did let go there was a residue on the rotors that caused a bad vibration every time the brakes were applied the first few times but it quickly wore off.

I wonder that the problem is related to the composition of the pads and the move away from materials like asbestos on the pads.

The brakes work really well but there is almost never any noticeable dust residue on the wheels when ever I wash the car unlike every other car I've owned.

There is probably no need to apply the park brake when parked in the garage, the floor is usually level and the gear selector is in park which in itself has a lock which stops the vehicle moving.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Is a set of rear brake pads expensive? I mean a well-known brand?

I had warping issues with my TR Magna way back. The dealership replaced the pads and machined discs. Issue returned. I took it to a proper brake place and they advised me that the pads were incorrect - too hard. Correct PBR colour for the make/model, but wrong compound.
It turned out PBR made a batch of hard pads with the wrong colour. So it can happen. (I went Bendix at that point - no more issues).