Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zb commorde haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I was surprised too, unfortunately I was in a hurry or I would have stopped and got a pic. I suspect they were HSV's TBH as they are a big HSV dealership.

Yond

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Calais V Sportwagon LS3
Back in 2013 the ZB was flagged as the next Commodore, it always going to be FWD or AWD and no V8 option but still with the possibility of being built in Australia. Thank your state and federal governments for that not getting up.

At 01:18 in the video, Dr David Johnson, Holden Australia Lead Development Engineer: "This [the ZB] is the Commodore we've been working on since 2011. So, this was always going to be the next car."

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In 2011, Holden still had a local manufacturing future. It wasn't until 2013 that the axe dropped, so when he made those statements in good faith.
So, if it had been locally made, would the Commodore nameplate have been acceptable? Those who complain that no eights and FWD don't make it a "real" Commodore are clearly out of date with their thinking. The motoring world is changing dramatically and even in the US, RWD has been gradually losing ground to FWD. V8's are still dominant but in a diminishing range of cars. So, a question for the ZB haters. Just how long do you think the VF could have continued in production after October 2017? Given that the VE cost over a billion to develop way back in the early 2000's, how much do you think a new model would have cost to develop for a market that increasingly wasn't interested? Honestly, I wonder what some guys are smoking when they bitch about dropping the V8, RWD, etc. What's it like in cloud cuckoo land?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I was surprised too, unfortunately I was in a hurry or I would have stopped and got a pic. I suspect they were HSV's TBH as they are a big HSV dealership.

I was quite amused when I got a courtesy car from the dealer for my power steering recall.

I figured I'd get a ZB, or a Captiva perhaps. Normally dealers like to put you in the latest stuff to tempt you out of your old ride.
Nope, was in a VFII SV6, which must be 2 years old by now...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Does anybody remember a Mitsubishi 380 ? No ? Anybody seen one lately ? No ?
I realise that 15 years ago is a long time in car years ( more than dog years), but back then, if Australians wanted a large(ish) FWD sedan, they would have bought it. They didn’t.

The 380 was not a plug and play like the Camry, it was developed from a US Galant (not unlike the original VB) and pushed, prodded, and massaged into an Australian developed and manufactured car on a shoestring budget.
I had one as a rental for 3 weeks in Tasmania (no, I did use my money to buy it, before somebody accuses me ) but with 4 adults on board with associated luggage, (who needs a SUV ?) and I was surprised by the interior space, and absence of FWD biased handling.
It deserved to succeed. It didn’t because Australians did not buy FWD large sedans. And that was still the thinking in 2011. Holden should have known that, but hindsight is great.
Maybe the RWD Torana Mk2 and the AWD ‘Nullabor’ SUV could have saved Holden. If you can ignore the GFC, currency exchange rate, and GM management attitudes.
Now, Australians still don’t buy large FWD sedans, they buy large FWD SUVs, and large SUVs are just an appliance.
The large RWD sedan is a dinosaur, and so am I.

Hey.. Holden ! Where's my bloody VE Monaro ? Ohh …. you mean my 1.18 Biante model is closest I'll get ? Bugga !

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
the AWD ‘Nullabor’ SUV could have saved Holden.

Given how popular both entry level and premium SUVs are now (Merc and BMW will have to invent new letters/numbers soon to squeeze them all in), I think something like the Nullabor would have been a big seller for Holden

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I was quite amused when I got a courtesy car from the dealer for my power steering recall.

I figured I'd get a ZB, or a Captiva perhaps. Normally dealers like to put you in the latest stuff to tempt you out of your old ride.
Nope, was in a VFII SV6, which must be 2 years old by now...

I got a Colorado ZR1 or whatever it was called, it was hideous.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Given how popular both entry level and premium SUVs are now (Merc and BMW will have to invent new letters/numbers soon to squeeze them all in), I think something like the Nullabor would have been a big seller for Holden
It probably should have been made instead of the VE. It would have been "on target" with the changing market.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Those who complain that no eights and FWD don't make it a "real" Commodore are clearly out of date with their thinking. The motoring world is changing dramatically and even in the US, RWD has been gradually losing ground to FWD. V8's are still dominant but in a diminishing range of cars. So, a question for the ZB haters. Just how long do you think the VF could have continued in production after October 2017? Given that the VE cost over a billion to develop way back in the early 2000's?

Everyone knows Holden didn't have the money to develop another 'VE-VF' platform, that's been thrashed to death. And how is it "clearly out-of-date thinking" to still want a Commodore to retain a V8 option and RWD/AWD? BMW, Audi, M-B et al still sell new V8 RWD sedans and estates, so it's not dinosaur thinking at all. I'd say Holden was "clearly out-of step" when it decided to give Commodore buyers a vehicle with contrary specifications to what it had always been. AWD across the board and a V8 option would've been a smarter step (hello HSV) but as we know Holden didn't have the money.

And as for the USA, you can blame CAFE regulations for the early push for FWD cars -horrible handling, over-powered FWD cars.

I'm not hating on the ZB -never have- but if I wanted a FWD imported car ZB would barely make my short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.