Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zb commorde haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
V8 buyers were never going to be happy with the ZB engine options. Me included!
I'm a bit surprised though that V6 buyers weren't all over it. Very good car and in my experience/opinion an improved drive over a V6 VF

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
First off, like many here I am p'd off at what GM US did to Holden and I think the VF was a great car. I also thought the company should have retired the nameplate and just gone with "Insignia" or a new nameplate altogether. That doesn't mean that I damn the ZB in any way and, in fact, I'm thinking of buying one. A dealer not far from me in Melbourne has a group of '18 ZB RS models with less than 10k on the ODOs selling for around the 26k mark (shows the terrible depreciation of these cars).

We currently own a VF Evoke wagon that is still in pristine condition...all standard save for the cargo barrier, towbar (never used) and blind spot monitoring. We bought the car so we could transport our beloved dog in comfort. She has since passed away (after 16 years of good life) and now neither the missus or I have the heart to get another dog. So she's been saying we should "go smaller" or "get one of those SUV things." Me...I don't want a truck or SUV...no bloody way! Heavy on fuel...expensive on tyres...the works. So I showed her the ZBs and made a case for all the safety tech and the fact that it has more go than the Evoke (which, although quite good was never rocketship material like our previous car). Now she wants to know if we will have troubles with recalls (as we did with the wagon needing the new steering rack..etc.) or face a shortage of parts or buy something that will be a lemon mechanically. So I told her I'd get online and look for opinions from other owners. Well...what do you guys think?

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Those same zb,s are $23990 on carsales.
Just do it by the time this year end Holden will have moved 16000 zb,s since 2017.
More than Ford have sold in models -Escape SA Focus and Endura.
You never hear anyone talk about parts issues for Escape/Focus/Endura.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It's the availability of parts that's always going to be the issue, thus you lose even more money in depreciation.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How many years is Holden required to stock spares for any given model?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
How many years is Holden required to stock spares for any given model?

IIRC, the ACL only requires them to have parts available for a reasonable period of time.

Suitably grey like so many aspects of legislation.

@Skylarking might have more definitive info.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes @VS 5.0, on page 31 of the Victorian guide to ACL I found on the WWW states “manufacturers or importers guarantee they will take reasonable steps to provide spare parts and repair facilities for a reasonable time after purchase” o_O

As a side comment, I believe the was some other law (or interpretation) that required parts be provided for 10 years post sales for the product ended (but can’t remember what law it was)... and that was in the days of 3 year manufacturers warranties...

In the context of VF’s, the last units sold were in 2018/2019 or maybe 2020 timeframe and all with a 7 year manufacturers warranty. So any reasonable consumer would expect parts to be available for a reasonable time after warranty has expired which should take parts availability to some years after 2025/2026/2027 ;) Yes it’s a higher standard than ACL but what idiot consumer would buy a car where parts supply stopped at end of warranty :rolleyes:

Sadly, as you say, the ACL is suitably vague in regards to spare parts provision that it just adds to the stress of getting parts and thus is of little help :oops:

BUT if a vehicle can’t be repaired in a “reasonable time frame” within the fuzzy spare parts provision window, then the repair becomes a major fault under ACL (page 16) ;)

So, if Holden’s parts supply are months away and your car will thus be off the road until it’s repaired... this issue can become a major fault under ACL. In that case ask for a full purchase price refund under an ACL major fault condition :cool: This may be enough to get Holden off it’s butt so they send the part via airmail at their costs, instead of waiting for a container to fill up for the slow sail to Terra Australis while you’re stuck at home without a drivable car :rolleyes:

PS: IANAL and TINLA :cool:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yes @VS 5.0, on page 31 of the Victorian guide to ACL I found on the WWW states “manufacturers or importers guarantee they will take reasonable steps to provide spare parts and repair facilities for a reasonable time after purchase” o_O

As a side comment, I believe the was some other law (or interpretation) that required parts be provided for 10 years post sales for the product ended (but can’t remember what law it was)... and that was in the days of 3 year manufacturers warranties...

In the context of VF’s, the last units sold were in 2018/2019 or maybe 2020 timeframe and all with a 7 year manufacturers warranty. So any reasonable consumer would expect parts to be available for a reasonable time after warranty has expired which should take parts availability to some years after 2025/2026/2027 ;) Yes it’s a higher standard than ACL but what idiot consumer would buy a car where parts supply stopped at end of warranty :rolleyes:

Sadly, as you say, the ACL is suitably vague in regards to spare parts provision that it just adds to the stress of getting parts and thus is of little help :oops:

BUT if a vehicle can’t be repaired in a “reasonable time frame” within the fuzzy spare parts provision window, then the repair becomes a major fault under ACL (page 16) ;)

So, if Holden’s parts supply are months away and your car will thus be off the road until it’s repaired... this issue can become a major fault under ACL. In that case ask for a full purchase price refund under an ACL major fault condition :cool: This may be enough to get Holden off it’s butt so they send the part via airmail at their costs, instead of waiting for a container to fill up for the slow sail to Terra Australis while you’re stuck at home without a drivable car :rolleyes:

PS: IANAL and TINLA :cool:

An interesting aspect in all of this is what happens IF GM decide to close Holden leaving no part support ?

Can't see the ACCC or anyone else having a win against an American corporate that has no presence in Aus.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
One thing I've always found is that the availability of parts was only important mechanical stuff that kept a car going such as safety stuff eg. Brakes, lights etc. while all other cosmetic stuff was deleted soon after a vehicle was finished with its production run.

See how you go ordering and getting trim components for VF now as they will already be starting to get thin within GMH's warehouse in Dandenong.

Status
Not open for further replies.