Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zb commorde haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Power outputs aside, I'd be curious to know how a front-wheel-drive ZB out-handles an SV6 VF. From what I know of Zeta (VE-VF) it had near 50-50 weight distribution and predictable on-limit handling, praised by motoring journos world-wide -not to mention bigger rubber. I can see the all-wheel-drive ZB out-steering it but the RS-V was top-of-the-line ZB, whereas any top-of-the-line VF (Holden or HSV) would destroy a V6 RS-V on any track.

All this talk of Aussie engineers 'tweaking' the ZB suspension is a bit silly too, as they do it to all imported Holdens -even Trax gets it (lol). Whereas Aussie engineers actually 'designed' VE-VF from scratch to be one of the best handing family sedans in the world. Even small details like putting the battery in the left hand side of the boot was to maximise weight distribution, benefiting handling.

I've said it before, the way ZB was packaged for our market is disappointing to Commodore fans like myself. The best ZB (V6 AWD) is really only an SV6 replacement -there's nothing better or higher. Nothing to aspire to, nothing to easily work on or modify. An appliance. Plus it looks like a front-wheel-drive car which undoes all the great work Holden stylists did with the two previous Commodore models...

No if only I could find the great article Peter Robinson wrote for Wheels (speaking of respected motoring journos) about how all front-wheel-cars are hamstrung in the styling stakes by their inherent packaging...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
All this talk of Aussie engineers 'tweaking' the ZB suspension is a bit silly too, as they do it to all imported Holdens -even Trax gets it (lol).

Aussie Holden engineers retuning Euro vehicles to suit Aussie roads...
"Just fit the heaviest duty suspension available, that way it might last the warranty period"...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Then there is simply no need to incorrectly characterise the GKN AWD system as “FWD based soft roader awd system”.

I didn't. Didn't mention it - you did. I simply bought the parallel of calling a (say) a Klugar a Landcrusier or visa versa. No comment as to how good/bad the awd system is in either vehicle. Simply saying you can't put a badge on a fundamentally different vehicle and expect people will think it's the same thing.

TBH I know absolutely nothing about the AWD system in the ZB. If it's anything like the system they had in the VZ Adventras (had a few of them), I'm sure it's excellent but again, that's not what the debate is about.

If you're simply trying to express that a commodore is a V6/V8 powered RWD sedan/Ute/wagon built in Australia rather than a turbo 4/V6 FWD/AWD sedan/estate imported from OS, just say that :p

I believe I have. Many times. Although I'm not that hung up on Aus made as some people are.

The right thing to do would be to rebadge the car for what it is. Opel insignia. You can then make decals that say 'commodore edition' and stick them underneath insignia badge ?
It's win win bruz

Not sure about 'Commodore edition' but agree that it should have stuck with the Insignia badge all along.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I've owned a large number of Australian made cars over the last 3 decades, Ford's, Holden's, a number of FPV's including several F6's and a FPV supercharged GT-P, a Chrysler SRT8 and owned a Mercedes-Benz S Class as a luxury weekender for just on 10 years up until a couple of years ago.
I've had a ZB LT for seven weeks as a loan car as well as having had my ZB Calais V for just on a year.

I feel reasonably well informed to offer an opinion on the ZB.

In my opinion the ZB is a very well engineered car, with very good build quality and it handles extremely well. Its not fast per se, but it is quite quick and overall a very satisfying drive. No its not made in Australia and to be honest I have done more than my fair share as a Kiwi to help Australian manufacturing so I couldn't care less. I reckon some people need to get over themselves that's it not a Commodore, they're right, its not, its better than a Commodore.

Its a huge amount of car for the money in my opinion. Haters gunna hate, Taylor Swift says it best, enjoy

Last edited:

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
I've owned a large number of Australian made cars over the last 3 decades, Ford's, Holden's, a number of FPV's including several F6's and a FPV supercharged GT-P, a Chrysler SRT8 and owned a Mercedes-Benz S Class as a luxury weekender for just on 10 years up until a couple of years ago.
I've had a ZB LT for seven weeks as a loan car as well as having had my ZB Calais V for just on a year.

I feel reasonably well informed to offer an opinion on the ZB.

In my opinion the ZB is a very well engineered car, with very good build quality and it handles extremely well. Its not fast per se, but it is quite quick and overall a very satisfying drive. No its not made in Australia and to be honest I have done more than my fair share as a Kiwi to help Australian manufacturing so I couldn't care less. I reckon some people need to get over themselves that's it not a Commodore, they're right, its not, its better than a Commodore.

Its a huge amount of car for the money in my opinion. Haters gunna hate, Taylor Swift says it best, enjoy

How is your Calais going?
Any issues?
Oil consumption?
Kms?
Does it look like you will have a GM service centre in Auckland after Holden ''closes''.

I,m sorry to another poster. My side tag shows me owning a LT Zb. Its on my shopping list but late this year. I keep an eye on these forums looking for owner issues.
Weak headlights is the only common issue.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
How is your Calais going?
Any issues?
Oil consumption?
Kms?
Does it look like you will have a GM service centre in Auckland after Holden ''closes''.

I,m sorry to another poster. My side tag shows me owning a LT Zb. Its on my shopping list but late this year. I keep an eye on these forums looking for owner issues.
Weak headlights is the only common issue.
No issues, no oil consumption, 13,500 km's.
Yes, no issues with having a handy service centre. Had my first annual service last week actually. Car came back immaculately groomed like it was brand new. Free loan car and even a pack of homemade cookies given to me as a thank you.
Better service than when I owned my Mercedes-Benz !!
Just a quick shout out to the guys at West City Holden in Auckland....really good guys at my local Holden service centre too...more than happy to take the time to have a good chat about things. Car had 4.5mm tread on front and 6.0 mm on rear so they rotated the tyres. I learned the AWD system operates in front wheel drive mode most of the time unless it detects wheel slip.
West City Holden also have Kia and Suzuki so their service centre will be there forever and a day...no worries.

Last edited:

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
No issues, no oil consumption, 13,500 km's.
Yes, no issues with having a handy service centre. Had my first annual service last week actually. Car came back immaculately groomed like it was brand new. Rotated tyres, free loan car and even a pack of homemade cookies given to me as a thank you.
Better service than when I owned my Mercedes-Benz !!

That is great.
So? The service centre you are using continues once Holden stop selling cars in Nz?

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Sure does and the guys there are top blokes.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I know you are being facetious but the answer according to the brochure: the max unbraked towing limit for the ZB is 750kg regardless of whats up front. If the trailer has brakes then the weights go to 1800 for the 2.0L and 2100 for the V6.

That and the fact that towing a heavy load with FWD is rather precarious unless you get the weight balance on the trailer perfect.

For heavens sake stop wasting your breath about ,' it's not a Commodore ' .. .I bought a great widget. .the rest is hot air. . I gather you haven't driven it .. If you had , I'd expect some detail..but more significantly, you fail to mention the hard yards done by Holden auto engineers to retune the ZB for Australia that really make it a brilliant drive, add the Lang Lang testing, tweaking by them is important, makes the agile 4 a very very worthy car . In web reviews this has been acknowledged as very significant improvement over the Insignia.. Again, people make two or three word statements about the Commodore ZB, but let's call it the ZB widget .. what people don't do is actually comment on it having driven it . In a forum called 'Just Commodores' , when I joined, I was surprised that there was nothing of substance assessing the ZB 4 petrol turbo for instance. So if you can park your own prejudices, and you are an enthusiast, why not drive it and comment . can't you see that when there is is no real evaluation by people , you just dismiss criticisms made without an iota of real substance.
I saw a pro review , a you tube video where there was a collective of people in a room, who without much qualification at all, praised the ZB, particularly too, the 4 . They also made it patently clear that they dismissed comments made by many many negative people who canned the ZB. They were sure that these people had neither got in or driven the cars .

It seems you don't get the point so let me spell it out to you.

This is a Commodore forum frequented by people who are by far and large Commodore enthusiasts (1978 to 2017).

You bought a car based solely because (and to quote) "I bought a great widget", clearly the label/brand means nothing to you.

We really don't give a damn about what you think and the car reviews you keep promoting. We are entitled to our opinions and if you don't like them then the simplest option is for you to log out and forget your password or if you like I can disable your account permanently.

I have never said the ZB is a bad car, but in my opinion it is not a Commodore as we (Commodore enthusiast) know a Commodore to be. Considering the lack of sales of the ZB it is abundantly clear that the majority of Commodore owners (real Commodore owners that is) tend to agree because most of those who would have traded up to the next model have chosen to either hold onto their VF Commodores or move in a different direction. The ZB is doing so well that it has it's part in the final demise of the Holden brand!

I suggest you stop trying to preach because you aren't going to convert the Commodore faithful.

This thread is now pointless and going around in circles and as such I claim the last word.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.