Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Gearbox issues

rlpozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS Wagon
Anybody had an issue with their gearbox in the ZB 2.0lt version? My gearbox starting behaving erracticly last night coming home from work and the engine check light appeared about 2ks from home. I limped it straight to Holden in the morning and they are talking about replacing the gearbox.

alsd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
I can’t say for sure mine is playing up but I am beginning to suspect somethings NQR.

Just hanging in some gears and overall it’s not as smooth as it was 5000km ago....

Interested to hear how it goes mate.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Anybody had an issue with their gearbox in the ZB 2.0lt version? My gearbox starting behaving erracticly last night coming home from work and the engine check light appeared about 2ks from home. I limped it straight to Holden in the morning and they are talking about replacing the gearbox.

yup.... had 2 of our ZB LT company wagon transmissions die.

First one was within 3 or 4 days of delivery. But the 2nd one
lasted nearly 4 months before it, too, died.

Cause?... in both cases was metal particles, pieces, swarf
from manufacture in Germany. Holden just replaced the
transmission, no questions asked.

rlpozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS Wagon
New gearbox goes in tomorrow, will let you know how it goes. I think the problem starts with the module for the auto engine shut down. I leave it off mostly, but the gear box was dis-engaging at traffic lights like the engine was going to shut down. When i lifted my foot off the brake the gearbox would take a couple of seconds to select a gear while you were trying to accelerate.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
New gearbox goes in tomorrow, will let you know how it goes. I think the problem starts with the module for the auto engine shut down. I leave it off mostly, but the gear box was dis-engaging at traffic lights like the engine was going to shut down. When i lifted my foot off the brake the gearbox would take a couple of seconds to select a gear while you were trying to accelerate.

the first mod i did to my zb was disable that stop/start junk automatically on vehicle startup.

Kevyt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2020 ZB RSV
The Torque converter on my RSV is causing the vehicle to chug, like its in the wrong gear, ... part was meant to come from the UK .. great news is that today, Holden NZ have agreed to replace the whole transmission, annoying stuff..... that it took 7 weeks to get to this point

Last edited:

Kevyt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2020 ZB RSV
Update.... second gearbox is starting to have the same issues as the first one.... plus a few more like vibrations thru the accelerator pedal...... somethings not right in Kansas Dorothy

knight001

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB MY19 Holden Commodore VXR A9 3.6Ltr
Update.... second gearbox is starting to have the same issues as the first one.... plus a few more like vibrations thru the accelerator pedal...... somethings not right in Kansas Dorothy

Did you end up finding out what was causing your issues? When you say it was chugging like it was in the wrong gear was this when going up hills or speeding up highway speed?

rlpozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS Wagon
Did you end up finding out what was causing your issues? When you say it was chugging like it was in the wrong gear was this when going up hills or speeding up highway speed?
Holden said it was a faulty servo body kit. None available so replaced the entire box. I've only down 2k since the new one went in but I'm sceptical as to how long it will last. I can hear constantly a whining even at idle which is reminiscent of the whir you use to get through the old radio without a suppressor fitted. It also smells like I have been flogging it to death. Due for service soon so I will ask them to look at everything once more. Bit sad my car has 17k on it and I am worried about never ending issues.

rlpozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS Wagon
Holden said it was a faulty servo body kit. None available so replaced the entire box. I've only down 2k since the new one went in but I'm sceptical as to how long it will last. I can hear constantly a whining even at idle which is reminiscent of the whir you use to get through the old radio without a suppressor fitted. It also smells like I have been flogging it to death. Due for service soon so I will ask them to look at everything once more. Bit sad my car has 17k on it and I am worried about never ending issues.
Would be interested in knowing if the Police are having any issues with the V6 version. I don't know if the are the same gear box.