Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB holden made for Australian conditions ???

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
You'll find that vehicles that were sold through city based dealerships had spacesavers, while vehicles that were sold in regional dealerships had a full size mag in the boot. The reason ? that a vehicle in a regional area did not comply with ADR if fitted with a SS wheel as the speed limit outside the township is generally around 100~110 kph and SS wheels could not comply with that, thus a full size wheel is installed.
I think you have the bull by the horns....a full size spare will not fit in the boot cavity....only designed for the space saver....again if you have a full complement of people in the car...and a boot load of suitcases.....where do you put the blown tire?...on the bonnet like the old Land Rovers.....it was ok for the VF because the spare cavity was designed for a full size tyre...not the ZB.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You'll find that vehicles that were sold through city based dealerships had spacesavers, while vehicles that were sold in regional dealerships had a full size mag in the boot. The reason ? that a vehicle in a regional area did not comply with ADR if fitted with a SS wheel as the speed limit outside the township is generally around 100~110 kph and SS wheels could not comply with that, thus a full size wheel is installed.

I think you're a little confused.....ADR's stand for Australian Design Rules, which means a car complies with all of Australia, not parts of Australia...It'd be more like the country dealerships ordered the full size spare for convenience of he country folk

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
We have all read about how the ZB has been ‘Australianised’ by the Holden engineers who know what they are doing.
But, like a new whiz-kid footballer, cricketer or swimmer who delivers a surprise result is instantly compared to the ‘past greats’, and then doesn’t measure up to the hype and hope generated, is the ZB a victim of this ?
If it wore a Toyota, Hyundai, Alfa Romeo, or Great Wall badge, would it be received with applause, or just ignored, instead of the general contempt that it has attracted ?

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
We have all read about how the ZB has been ‘Australianised’ by the Holden engineers who know what they are doing.
But, like a new whiz-kid footballer, cricketer or swimmer who delivers a surprise result is instantly compared to the ‘past greats’, and then doesn’t measure up to the hype and hope generated, is the ZB a victim of this ?
If it wore a Toyota, Hyundai, Alfa Romeo, or Great Wall badge, would it be received with applause, or just ignored, instead of the general contempt that it has attracted ?
If it was still an orphan car, then it would be ignored. The ZB has an awful lot going against it. It never stood a chance. The only question for the history books, is what was going through GM managements mind when they saw this as a viable way to keep Holden profitable.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The only question for the history books, is what was going through GM managements mind when they saw this as a viable way to keep Holden profitable.

All management ever think of, is how to secure their next bonus...

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
The Holden engineers were given the task to Australianise the ZB, they would have been told there was a time limit to get it done ie, you're all being fired.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
They've been using space saver spare wheels since VY. Nothing new there./QUOTE]

Don't think so. My VY, and every other I've seen, had a full size steel spare and when the car had alloys, the spare had the 80 kph warning label stuck on. AFAIK, it has only been the imported models that had space savers or inflation kits. The brochure for my 2015 Captiva indicated that it had an inflator kit but it came with a full size steel spare.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I have a spacesaver in the Monaro - it's been used once. I don't see the fuss.

fullsize steel in the Clubsport - never used and owned for coming on to 8 years.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have a spacesaver in the Monaro - it's been used once. I don't see the fuss.

fullsize steel in the Clubsport - never used and owned for coming on to 8 years.

Can be a bit painful if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere, getting used to how differently the car handles, with a space saver fitted on the car

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Space savers are very cleverly designed. They look so damned ugly, you just HAVE to get your flat fixed and get the space saver back out of sight ASAP.