Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB In the Real World

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
What we are seeing is a beef stew , with mashed potatoes, and peas next to a plate of braised beef cheek on a bed of crushed sweet potato and baby vegetables , and I like both , but it's harder to **** up a beef stew .

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Real world? aaaah yeah... 26 to chose from
20180302_115550_zpsmxqxqu59.jpg~original

I drove 6 different ones over 4 hours today

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
yeah... gets interest
and follows on from the dealer/media launch some weeks ago
it also allows dealer sales staff to go over it and get familiar with its features

my local stealership has had one out front for a week or so

I never thought I'd say this but the ZB looks decent from that angle, nicely resolved from the rear door forwards -don't care much for the hatch bit though... The VF looks slightly awkward without a number plate or something... cant really put my finger on it but I've never really loved the VF front end, especially in HSV mode... and that horrible green doesn't help. Still know which car I'd rather though!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I went to buy a couple of odds and sods for the Senator today and had a look at the ZB while I was at the yard. Spoke to a young salesman there and even though I made it clear I wasn't in the market, we got chatting and discovered we were both right into cars. Anyway long story short, he was bored because they were in the process of moving premises and no one was around, so he showed me all around a CalaisV. I would have been there for a good hour and a half while I drove it around the yard and he explained the various new features it has over VF.

One I really liked was a feature that removed any feel of roughness (ie driving over gravel etc) through the steering column, really neat I thought. The car definitely gives the impression of quality and has a feeling of being a generation ahead of VF. The materials, the fit and finish etc is beyond VF, not by a huge margin, but enough.

In saying that however, it seems almost TOO refined to wear the commodore badge. Our cars have always had a slightly raw feeling about them (I think you all know what I mean), and it's that unique Australian feel about them that made them ours and ours alone. This newcomer, whilst undoubtedly a cracking car in its own right, just doesn't have that same aura about it. But...it is a very good car.

I think it will sell well, and to be honest, it deserves to. All of us here would still love for Elizabeth to be churning out our favourite car, but we know that's done and dusted. I think we need to look to the future and give this Kraut a go, after all it's the best we are going to get.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Quick verdict Smitty? (Unless you want to post a full review ;)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yes, I was interested in your thoughts as well @Smitty .

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Quick verdict Smitty? (Unless you want to post a full review ;)
quick one

if you are in the market for a Mazda6 (it is better than that, and better value for$) or a Camry (which is cheaper btw) or optima vehicle
it is better overall (handling, features, grunt).. certainly the wagon version I would buy for the missus in place of a SUV
the sedan (aka liftback) obviously the same but its styling means it looks like white goods on wheels
(as do the others)

it is in a tuff market but out of the others ( I have not driven the new 2018 Camry yet.. that is next week) it is superior.
Old time Commodore it is not.. midsize new imported vehicle with a nice range of doodads features it is.
Calais version is a nice quiet comfy way to get around the 'burbs. Goes OK, even the 2 litre turbo version with auto
(only trans available) spins the front wheels in the dry in first :D

As a vehicle for our reps at work?... yes and yes

final comment... the VXR ? nup no stay away. :mad:
I drove an opel insignia in Germany 18 months ago. TERRIBLE! I was given an updated one late last year as a loan car, this sold here by
Holden as the Insignia VXR supposedly updated by holden in relation to steering suspension etc. Naaaah still terrible!
This one? .. rorty engine noise, shocking seats, ok brakes (despite being brembos) nice transmission (major issue with old model)
but $60 PLUS on roads? Nup Nyet! Maybe $50 large plus on roads might gather some interest. The Stinger kicks the VXR arse

final comment... I was asked at the end of the day
should it be called Commodore?

I said no... it is imported (so can you really say we have the new IMPORTED Commodore when all previous have been made here) and
despite what they have done to the Opel design (lots), it does not have the DNA and emotion people attach to the (previous) Commodores .. all of them !