Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB In the Real World

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
quick one

if you are in the market for a Mazda6 (it is better than that, and better value for$) or a Camry (which is cheaper btw) or optima vehicle
it is better overall (handling, features, grunt).. certainly the wagon version I would buy for the missus in place of a SUV
the sedan (aka liftback) obviously the same but its styling means it looks like white goods on wheels
(as do the others)

it is in a tuff market but out of the others ( I have not driven the new 2018 Camry yet.. that is next week) it is superior.
Old time Commodore it is not.. midsize new imported vehicle with a nice range of doodads features it is.
Calais version is a nice quiet comfy way to get around the 'burbs. Goes OK, even the 2 litre turbo version with auto
(only trans available) spins the front wheels in the dry in first :D

As a vehicle for our reps at work?... yes and yes

final comment... the VXR ? nup no stay away. :mad:
I drove an opel insignia in Germany 18 months ago. TERRIBLE! I was given an updated one late last year as a loan car, this sold here by
Holden as the Insignia VXR supposedly updated by holden in relation to steering suspension etc. Naaaah still terrible!
This one? .. rorty engine noise, shocking seats, ok brakes (despite being brembos) nice transmission (major issue with old model)
but $60 PLUS on roads? Nup Nyet! Maybe $50 large plus on roads might gather some interest. The Stinger kicks the VXR arse

final comment... I was asked at the end of the day
should it be called Commodore?

I said no... it is imported (so can you really say we have the new IMPORTED Commodore when all previous have been made here) and
despite what they have done to the Opel design (lots), it does not have the DNA and emotion people attach to the (previous) Commodores .. all of them !
Driven the new Camry Hybrid (Base Model), not a fan, though the seats are better than the previous model, but still handles like a Camry, feels bouncy in the rear end as well. Drove to Geelong from Ballarat and return where they are doing significant roadworks and it didn’t like them. All up though pleasant enough for a fleet car. In regards to the VXR I probably would buy one as a daily driver, thinking of going in to the local dealer in January 2019 and offering them 40K for one, as I think by then the Holden discount model will move in as they try to move stock.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I'm driving a base model ZB at the moment, the 4cylinder goes better than I thought it would and the 9 speed makes it power down alright. Torque steer is minimised but present. It's a bit undergripped in the front for ~200kw but it's not horrible to drive.

I went to a launch day and was fairly impressed overall by the package, they've done well with suspension and chassis tuning. I liked the V6, the AWD is great for handling at speed.

I would agree with the comments on it missing the "raw" edge of the older models, it just missed the character of my VF SS, and it's a different beast entirely, but it is a decent enough car underneath.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I'm driving a base model ZB at the moment, the 4cylinder goes better than I thought it would and the 9 speed makes it power down alright. Torque steer is minimised but present. It's a bit undergripped in the front for ~200kw but it's not horrible to drive.

I went to a launch day and was fairly impressed overall by the package, they've done well with suspension and chassis tuning. I liked the V6, the AWD is great for handling at speed.

I would agree with the comments on it missing the "raw" edge of the older models, it just missed the character of my VF SS, and it's a different beast entirely, but it is a decent enough car underneath.

Main question...does it do a skid bro...

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Main question...does it do a skid bro...

Confirmed can and will light up the front wheels. It's not something you'd go out to "do mad as skidz bro" but the first time you nail it and are limited by wheelspin it's a bit of a surprise for a 4cyl Commodore.

I guess when you put it in a comparative sense, the ZB 4cyl puts out around the same level of power as a WRX, and I don't think it's much heavier, so it should motor alright even on paper.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
talking to one of the guys at my dealer , who recently went a testing day with the all new models and VF 's as a comparison , he reckons the VXR is pretty quick as is the base V6 ZB and interestingly the 2.0 turbo was much quicker around a track than the VF SV6 and all made mince meat out of the Evoke .

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The 2.0 LT is MUCH nicer to drive than the VF Evoke, that was not a nice car. The 3.0 was a terrible wheezy gutless engine.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The 2.0 LT is MUCH nicer to drive than the VF Evoke, that was not a nice car. The 3.0 was a terrible wheezy gutless engine.

so I'm led to believe , at the local dealer there are two ZB's one 2.0 litre turbo and a base V6 , getting prepped for our local Police , if the salesman is correct , the boys in blue will be happy . Lucky sods .

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
final comment... I was asked at the end of the day
should it be called Commodore?

I said no... it is imported (so can you really say we have the new IMPORTED Commodore when all previous have been made here) and
despite what they have done to the Opel design (lots), it does not have the DNA and emotion people attach to the (previous) Commodores .. all of them !

Interesting point of view. I agree it shouldn't be called a Commodore but for a different reason - To me the Commodore is RWD. That is the vital piece of the puzzle that is missing. Of course I'd prefer it to be built in Aus but no RWD is the deal breaker for me.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..