Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB In the Real World

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The 3.0 was a great concept on paper but a total fail in reality, it just gave away to much torque for a heavy car.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I went to buy a couple of odds and sods for the Senator today and had a look at the ZB while I was at the yard. Spoke to a young salesman there and even though I made it clear I wasn't in the market, we got chatting and discovered we were both right into cars. Anyway long story short, he was bored because they were in the process of moving premises and no one was around, so he showed me all around a CalaisV. I would have been there for a good hour and a half while I drove it around the yard and he explained the various new features it has over VF.

One I really liked was a feature that removed any feel of roughness (ie driving over gravel etc) through the steering column, really neat I thought. The car definitely gives the impression of quality and has a feeling of being a generation ahead of VF. The materials, the fit and finish etc is beyond VF, not by a huge margin, but enough.

In saying that however, it seems almost TOO refined to wear the commodore badge. Our cars have always had a slightly raw feeling about them (I think you all know what I mean), and it's that unique Australian feel about them that made them ours and ours alone. This newcomer, whilst undoubtedly a cracking car in its own right, just doesn't have that same aura about it. But...it is a very good car.

I think it will sell well, and to be honest, it deserves to. All of us here would still love for Elizabeth to be churning out our favourite car, but we know that's done and dusted. I think we need to look to the future and give this Kraut a go, after all it's the best we are going to get.
Your comments are almost a word for word rehash of what motoring writers said about the VB.

After years of American inspired styling and engineering, the HZ finally handled properly, thanks to Peter Hanenberger, but it was still a big, old world Holden.

The VB was a revelation. Smaller, more agile, more refined and as an SLE it was very European and hard to believe it was a Holden. Sound familiar? And it was an Open design too, but with a lot more crude old Holden bits than this one.

I guess there is really nothing new in Australian motoring.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Your comments are almost a word for word rehash of what motoring writers said about the VB.

After years of American inspired styling and engineering, the HZ finally handled properly, thanks to Peter Hanenberger, but it was still a big, old world Holden.

The VB was a revelation. Smaller, more agile, more refined and as an SLE it was very European and hard to believe it was a Holden. Sound familiar? And it was an Open design too, but with a lot more crude old Holden bits than this one.

I guess there is really nothing new in Australian motoring.

So the question remains Calaber... you like the German invader or not?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
When the Germans do things they do then right , but I they do tend to go too far , just ask , Poland, France, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Greece, Holland, Belgium, :D

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
So the question remains Calaber... you like the German invader or not?

Well..... I drive a Captiva 5, which was originally an Opel Antara. Does that say something?

To be honest the ZB is of no interest to me because I am not going to be driving a sedan anymore. It's too hard entering and exiting that style of car these days.

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
Think Holden has made a slight error in positioning the new Commodore to get all the stuff like sunroof etc you have to go Calais V or VRX, both V6 and AWD. Can’t actually get a similar spec in the 4 cylinders, where this level is available in the competition. It seems to me they think the V6is special, lol.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well the definitive review is in and I can confirm that my missus said it was ugly after seeing one outside our local Holden Stealership. She then proceeded to tell me about the nice Maserati she had seen a couple of days earlier....

To get back to her most honest review, she said it looked like they tried to copy another car make but squished the front end, UGLY!

/ end thread

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
Still waiting for our new fleet Wagon, maybe next week. However we are getting a Camry Hybrid and a Liberty this week, they could be fun to test out. Might have to use my Admin access to the fleet system to accidentally assign one of these for my next trip away. Decisions, decisions so many new cars to play with, knowing I’ve stil got the SSVR to drive home in.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I'm interested to hear what you think about the Liberty if you get the chance to drive it. The V6 is supposed to be a pretty decent car.