Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zb lgx radiator drain

Day

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais
Hi everyone wondered if anyone has diagrams for a coolant drain on a zb calais v lgx engine . I have checked the buick service manual but can't locate the drain plug at all on my holden.

If anyone knows the location that would be great.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi everyone wondered if anyone has diagrams for a coolant drain on a zb calais v lgx engine . I have checked the buick service manual but can't locate the drain plug at all on my holden.

If anyone knows the location that would be great.

alot of the time the drain is at the very bottom of a radiator but the manual shows it at the back of the radiator below the bottom radiator hose
drain.jpg

Day

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais
alot of the time the drain is at the very bottom of a radiator but the manual shows it at the back of the radiator below the bottom radiator hose
View attachment 236182
Hi Stooge thanks for that mate. Can you let me know which manual you have as my one doesn't show that.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi Stooge thanks for that mate. Can you let me know which manual you have as my one doesn't show that.

i posted it here

"Zipped PDF Manual" is the one.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
At least on the V6 this ‘tap’ is very hard to get to. I say ‘tap’ because thats what it appears to be on my RSV. Only needs to be turned 180 degrees counterclockwise to open it.

I ended up using a 19 mm 6 sided socket on a 3/8 drive ratchet to turn it very gently until it would start draining, and then very gently back again. No way I could turn it by hand - combination of difficult access and tap is quite stiff. Obviously if doing this use a socket that is a fairly tight fit

Also noted that only about 5 (of 9) litres drains out each time so did this:
- Refilled with distilled water, ran engine for about a minute and gave it a few revs, and redrained, twice,
- Then poured in just over 4.5 litres of concentrate (Nulon Gold allegedly compatible with everything)
- Then topped off with a few hundred mls more distilled water.

All up cost of about $50 for coolant snd $25 for the water which if done every 4 years would be $19 per year.

Main thing to watch out for would be damaging the tap at bottom left of radiator.