Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zb query

scottcurrey88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve series 2 Sv6 wagon
Gday, I currently have a 2011 ve 2 Sv6 wagon. It has a reasonable amount of issues that I won’t delve into so we are looking at upgrading.

One of the cars that has become available is a 2018 zb Calais tourer with 30000km. V6 9spd awd.

I’ve read through a few threads but they are all from 2020. Now a few years have past, Has anyone had any ongoing issues with there’s, or is there anything I should look out for?

cheers.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
My advice would be to try out one with the 2L turbo engine, I tried both and ended up deciding to go with the 2L and it was an easy decision. I

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
cant really speak for the wagon but the liftback i have is a v6 and for a daily driver it is great.
it has almost 90,000 on the clock and it does 100km a day for work, no major issues yet.

if you were looking at the liftback i would say get the 6 over the 4 because of all of the driveline and suspension upgrades that come with it, it makes a big difference to handling.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
I think the answer depends on where you live and what kind of driving you want to do. Around town or staying on tarmac the 2L is an excellent choice. On unsealed roads in the country the V6 option gives you AWD as well. I think the Calais has the best riding suspension setup of the ZB range for unimproved surfaces no matter which engine/driveline you pick.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
I'd agree with the above. Either is a good thing. L4 is probably quicker off the line and probably up to 60 km/h and in real world use no slower point to point. But I suspect the V6 is a little quicker from 100 km/h on, which is why Police would bother spending a little more for highway cars, I have an RSV wagon, but if I had to replace it I would consider either option...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
keep in mind that the decision between variants is not just about the engine

some variants dont have awd, hiperstrut, 5link rear suspension, twinster, torque vectoring etc
while it does not sound like much these features have a pretty large impact when it comes to handling.

1618519817677-png.221408

while the engine is a big part of the equation dont discount the other options, if you do a lot of hwy driving and you are thinking fuel economy remember the v6 has afm

the vxr and calais-v have better technology too, like led matrix, adaptive cruise, 360 camera etc

MY18 Commodore Brochure PDF

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
As Matt says if I had to replace I would consider either engine option. I have an RSV liftback and absolutely love it.

The 2 litre turbo has more power than the 3 litre V6 in the VF and a ton more low down torque then even the 3.6 V6 in the ZB. That turbo 2 litre engine goes very well.

Having said that don't under rate the AWD system which only comes with the V6. It is awesome even on tarmac. You can fell it "helping" you around the bends on a twisty road.

This guys write ups are excellent. He is testing the VXR but the AWD system is the same on all models with AWD.