Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB RS/V Commodore headlights

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes so there is no off. Our zb manual does not show the off position and the switch doesn't have it. It means it's not possible to turn off the headlights at night without stopping the car and opening the door and waiting for them to turn off automatically. Seems an oversight.
Nah, just a cost saving of 1c per car on a slightly different swicth :p
That's the way they come...
Cross eyed headlamps are a standard feature? great QC :oops:

Robdre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 RS ZB Commodore 3.6L AWD
Nah, just a cost saving of 1c per car on a slightly different swicth :p
Cross eyed headlamps are a standard feature? great QC :oops:
As much as I hate to agree about the bad points of the ZB I must say that I also consider the headlights to be so poor that they are unsafe (low beam) that is. I have replaced the bulbs with Narva 150+ but the stupid pattern that it shows is beyond useless.
I have taken the car to the RAA for head light alignment and they say it is perfect.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Robdre, was the RAA guy cross eyed and wearing coke bottle glasses ?

I’m curious as to what the light pattern looks like of a flat wall (garage door at night) with the car level and 5 to 10 meters from it. Can you post such a picture?

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Not being able to turn off the headlights when it is dark and the car is running is a safety concern to be honest. As a driver I need control over the headlights at night including being able to turn them off. I am gobsmacked that I cannot turn them off while the car is running all due to the switch installed not having an off position. It would be like making a car that has no neutral on the gift shift because it is thought it is hardly used. Imagine if Opel did not install an off switch position in their insignia. There would be a demand for it tobe installed.

Robdre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 RS ZB Commodore 3.6L AWD
@Robdre, was the RAA guy cross eyed and wearing coke bottle glasses ?

I’m curious as to what the light pattern looks like of a flat wall (garage door at night) with the car level and 5 to 10 meters from it. Can you post such a picture?

I will do once I get back from an interstate work trip.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Yes so there is no off. Our zb manual does not show the off position and the switch doesn't have it. It means it's not possible to turn off the headlights at night without stopping the car and opening the door and waiting for them to turn off automatically. Seems an oversight.
If you turn the light switch to the park light position this switches off the auto mode and I'm pretty sure the headlights will turn off. Sure the park or side lights will still be on but you can control the headlights.

wayne3011

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Wagon
I also have a ZB RSV and the headlights are pretty terrible.

It was an ex GMH “demonstrator/executive driven” and I’d be pretty confident in saying the car was probably never driven at night on country roads, or someone would have done something about it!

Whilst the low beam is very average to poor, the aiming of the high beam has each light aiming off into the trees on the sides of the road, and not illuminating the road ahead.

The only thing The high beam does is light up the possums and annoy the flying wildlife.

I’ve seen the photos that were previously posted, and agree that possibly one or more of the indicated screws adjust something, but I would prefer to know the exact use of these screws before I go fooling around with them.

So far three dealerships Have indicated they didn’t know what the screws did, couldn’t look them up in any dealer manuals or guides To tell if they were actually headlight adjustment screws, yet one was happy to charge me $70-80 If I was to agree to let them adjust the headlights!!!

I have trolled overseas forums and other posts, hoping to get an insight via the Opel Insignia brand, but with no luck.

Someone, somewhere, must have some idea of adjusting the ZB commodore headlights, as panelbeaters would need to do so after front end damage.

Any help Or advice would Be Appreciated.

TIA, wayne

Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
While it won't help with the lateral positioning of the beam there is a height adjustment knob in the light switch cluster. This has quite an effect on how far in front of you the beam hits the road.

wayne3011

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RSV Wagon
While it won't help with the lateral positioning of the beam there is a height adjustment knob in the light switch cluster. This has quite an effect on how far in front of you the beam hits the road.
That’s the problem! The headlights on high beam don’t hit the road, high or low. I’m aware of the height adjustment switch, but that only changes who I wake up in the trees - the high or low dwellers

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
That’s the problem! The headlights on high beam don’t hit the road, high or low. I’m aware of the height adjustment switch, but that only changes who I wake up in the trees - the high or low dwellers

Good for going downhills.

The ex GMH cars are just driven by staff. Some don't even know what car they were driving. So sad for working for a vehicle importer.