Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB steering wheels (non VXR/Calais V) interchangeable?

ThePenguinFace

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
Hi all,

I’ve done a couple searches but couldn’t find any answers - let me know if this has been posted elsewhere!

I’m looking at getting back into a ZB Commodore again. I’m looking at one atm which looks all good except the steering wheel leather is worn away at the top.

I know i could just put on a cover or swap out for a wrecker LT/RS wheel, but I like the idea of swapping it out with one from a RSV/Calais (without adaptive cruise or paddle shifters).

They have the same functions and wiring looks the same to me. Does anyone know if theyre plug-and-play? Has anyone tried this?

Picture attached is from listing photos for reference, and photos of wiring looms from eBay listings.

If it’s allowable by forum rules etc I can share links to listings, if the photos upload low res.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0733.jpeg
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 21

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
there are 2 types of steering modules for the zb and they contain different button modules, the button modules send different messages so the cluster and infotainment systems wont respond if the wrong button module is used.
the clocksprings are also slightly different with the wires.

you should be able to swap the modules and wiring harness between the 2 wheels, you just need to keep the same type of button module your vehicle came with

upper spec

s-l1600.jpg

lower spec

s-l1600 (1).jpg

ThePenguinFace

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
there are 2 types of steering modules for the zb and they contain different button modules, the button modules send different messages so the cluster and infotainment systems wont respond if the wrong button module is used.
the clocksprings are also slightly different with the wires.

you should be able to swap the modules and wiring harness between the 2 wheels, you just need to keep the same type of button module your vehicle came with

upper spec

View attachment 268722

lower spec

View attachment 268723
Hi Stooge,

Thanks for your reply! So the module is a separate component which I assume interfaces between the steering wheel and computer?

Might you know the part number(s)? I’ve just done a Google search and a couple results come up for “steering column lock” modules which doesn’t quite sound right?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
In the pictures i posted you will see the control buttons on each side of the wheel.
They are button modules and can be removed from the wheel.
The wiring harness can also be removed.
It is those parts that are specific to the trim variant of the vehicle.