Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB tow bar, looking for recommendation

GregSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT liftback
I am looking to fit a tow bar to our zb LT liftback. Want one that sits fairly low so not too visible when the tongue is not fitted, and also the ball quite low for towing a small car trailer. Any photos of fitted tow bars that might fit the bill would be appreciated.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
If your ZB is still under warranty and you don't want to invalidate that warranty you may have to stick with the genuine Holden one.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
If your ZB is still under warranty and you don't want to invalidate that warranty you may have to stick with the genuine Holden one.

you cant invalidate a warranty in australia by installing a non genuine part unless that part is the cause of the damage/failure being claimed for.

if the aftermarket part was the cause only that claim would be rejected but the warranty would remain on the vehicle for anything not associated with that part.
the manufacturer can be liable to repair at their own cost even after the warranty period expires if it meets acl requirements which many dealers like to call "good will" when they do it but they know it is really called "by law".

GregSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT liftback
I have been told by a dealer that the GM genuine tow bars are no longer available, and he recommended a local manufacturer. I haven't actually seen a genuine one fitted to a liftback, but from what I can gather they come through a hole cut in the bumper, and I don't want that anyway. I considered a European built swan neck style that is virtually invisible when not attached, but there are no load leveller bars that will fit.
So I am getting one from the local place recommended (Allins in Adelaide), similar to Hayman Reece style, but maybe slightly lower.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I haven't actually seen a genuine one fitted to a liftback, but from what I can gather they come through a hole cut in the bumper

genuine or aftermarket they will both bolt into and sit in the same position on the vehicle.

lb.jpg

the side angle shows if you remove the tongue it does not sit out too far so it would not look that bad

lbs.jpg

if you want a genuine one you can get them on ebay

the bastards are selling the wiring harness separately

AWD

FWD

Last edited:

GregSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT liftback
genuine or aftermarket they will both bolt into and sit in the same position on the vehicle.

lb.jpg

the side angle shows if you remove the tongue it does not sit out too far so it would not look that bad

lbs.jpg

if you want a genuine one you can get them on ebay

[/URL]

the bastards are selling the wiring harness separately

AWD
[/URL]

FWD
[/URL]
Thanks Stooge, I saw those pics, they are from Parkside Towbars in Perth, and I think (but not 100% sure) that genuine GM bars come out higher up than that. Otherwise the ebay option would have been worth thinking about.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks, looks like I was wrong then. Maybe it was the wagon that was up higher?

yeah that is ugly as, it looks like a cheap butcher job opposed to a gm part but you never know.

wgn.jpg

if parkside can do the wagon without cutting into the bumper i would think gm would have done the same.
i would have thought that a company like parkside would just copy the specs of the oem part because it is easier to do that than "reinvent the wheel"

EDIT

after looking at a few examples it looks like that is how they do the wagon and that is probably why it is not pictured in the brochure lol

WZCR-Boxed640x480.jpg

images.jpg

2017-Holden-Commodore-used-2680-SS61680-2.jpg

S0005JN5.jpg

Last edited:

GregSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT liftback
Good find, I hadn't seen those wagon pics before. I'm booked in next week to get a reputable locally made one fitted now, so I will stick with that. Cheers