Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB tow bar, looking for recommendation

ZB_Driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2018 ZB LT 2.0T Diesel
I have been told by a dealer that the GM genuine tow bars are no longer available, and he recommended a local manufacturer. I haven't actually seen a genuine one fitted to a liftback, but from what I can gather they come through a hole cut in the bumper, and I don't want that anyway. I considered a European built swan neck style that is virtually invisible when not attached, but there are no load leveller bars that will fit.
So I am getting one from the local place recommended (Allins in Adelaide), similar to Hayman Reece style, but maybe slightly lower.

I found the same problem (Holden no longer stocks genuine accessory ZB towbars) and found out the backstory, i.e. that Holden appears to not bother supporting its customers if the business case doesn't stack up(see email below). This is something that Kristian Aquilina (former acting Holden CEO) said that Holden WOULDN'T do when they decided to leave the country. For what its worth, I bought a Hayman Reese one and it works and looks OK.

Date: Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 11:21 AM

Hi, It appears Holden has tried to negotiate small volume of parts with the tow bar supplier but unfortunately it has come to a business decision not to continue with supply of tow bars, we apologise for any inconvenience.
Kind Regards,
Harley
Holden Customer CarePh: AUS: 1800 46 465 336 / NZ: 0800 465 336
Email: [email protected]

GregSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT liftback
I found the same problem (Holden no longer stocks genuine accessory ZB towbars) and found out the backstory, i.e. that Holden appears to not bother supporting its customers if the business case doesn't stack up(see email below). This is something that Kristian Aquilina (former acting Holden CEO) said that Holden WOULDN'T do when they decided to leave the country. For what its worth, I bought a Hayman Reese one and it works and looks OK.

Date: Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 11:21 AM

Hi, It appears Holden has tried to negotiate small volume of parts with the tow bar supplier but unfortunately it has come to a business decision not to continue with supply of tow bars, we apologise for any inconvenience.
Kind Regards,
Harley
Holden Customer CarePh: AUS: 1800 46 465 336 / NZ: 0800 465 336
Email: [email protected]
That doesn't bode well for spare parts 5 or 10 years down the track.
The Allins one I got is good for height for me, but I think it sticks out a bit further than the genuine one going by photos posted earlier.

iZ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais ZB Tourer
Yeah, that's how mine came.

PXL_20220111_070944443~2.jpg

red_vxr

Reaction score
Members Ride
(don't have a commodore lel)
This is a bit unrelated, but the location of the towbar on the ZB wagons just looks silly. It's in the very center of the bumper, and really disrupts the back of the car.