Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zehq's MY12.5 2013 VE SSV Z

Discussion in 'VE - WM' started by Zehq, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Zehq

Zehq Active Member

Members Ride:
    2013 SSV Z
    Heya All,

Picked up my first car off my blacks a few months ago. A MY12.5 2013 VE SSV Z! 6 speed manual.
    Was originally stock, now sliiiiightly modified (new wheels). Done nearly 120,000km now!
    With how expensive life can get I'll leave the car... mechanically stock for now (although I did post about 3 months ago saying I wasn't going to do anything, hmmmmmmm).

Plans are to replace the shocking sound system with something that's a little decent, HID lights, perhaps springs and tint the windows a little darker.

I'll start off with a piccie of the car on its first trip away from Syd (Ulladulla). Was fantastic to drive through Kangaroo Valley and on the back roads to Nowra Road.

[​IMG]

Not too long after that I thought I'd give my E85-compatible car a go on E85... which killed the fuel pump on the third tank...

[​IMG]

...About a grand and a few days later the car was back on the road with a new pump!

I've then thought on grabbing some aftermarket wheels. Mind was set on Koya SF01's and got em! Very happy with how they turned out and now I'm debating on lowering the car every so slightly to make it sit flush.
    18x10 rears (+36)
    18x8 fronts (+30)

The rears sit just on the limit of the fender, looks quite nice IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which leads to today! More fuel pump issues, suspect the leads weren't properly inspected and there's damage to the plug, seems to be quite a common issue. Will give more updates once more changes are made.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    JezzRyan21 and notStock like this.
  2. notStock

notStock evolving

Members Ride:
    MY09 VE SS M6
    SF01's really give it a touring car vibe, nice work.

Zehq likes this.
  3. krusing

krusing Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    Don't install an NON Genuine Fuel Pump, I tried to save a few bucks, well it cost me time,
    As I did the "Drop the Tank" job twice by myself.
    My pump didn't fail, it was the common melted Fuel Pump Plug problem that GM were well aware of,
    Were I had to fix the loom. as below -
    https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...ol-unit-reversing-sensor-control-unit.274561/

and this one

This was take 2 of Fuel Pump Replacement -
    https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/remove-ve-fuel-tank.274863/page-2

I replaced mine with an aftermarket one from Repco [as mentioned], big mistake, and played up the following day, I hadn't even used E85,
    Where I had been using E85 numerous times prior fuel pump problem,
    In a nut shell, only install a OEM fuel Pump that is compatible with E85,
    there are some sellers out there that will supply a OEM one at a reasonable price, like as I found, just need to shop around.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Zehq likes this.
  4. Zehq

Zehq Active Member

Members Ride:
    2013 SSV Z
    Your thread was actually the thread I saw the plug issue from! Was scanning it through it the other day! Thanks for creating good documentation on it.

When the pump was replaced, it was with a genuine Holden pump. Now the issue doesn't seem to be with the pump itself as it works fine for the most part. I'm even getting the exact same two error codes P069E and P023F. Pump likes to die on a warm startup sometimes and releasing fuel via the fuel release valve on the fuel rail seems to be the only way to get it to start it again. Bit dodgy but I'm trying to hold out until Christmas leave as I need the car for work.

krusing likes this.
  5. 3_putt

3_putt Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute
    Great choice in wheels! Got the same on mine. How much nicer does it ride with the 18s.

Zehq likes this.
  6. Zehq

Zehq Active Member

Members Ride:
    2013 SSV Z
    Surprise! The fuel pump died again and as krusing suspected, the issue was the plug! Burnt out plug blew the new fuel pump too. Lucky for warranty and it's all repaired free of charge including a new wiring harness. Off the road Monday, on the road as of this afternoon!