Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

zorst

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Apparently one of the guys at her husband's work is a professional exhaust installer ( he works on farm machinery ) and said a bottle of Bundy red and she supplies the parts and will do straight pipe on it for her, all because the inners of her rear muffler are coming out, I said be better to replace the muffler as its already a 2.5" sports zorst

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Unless he means straight pipe as in "straight thru" like no cambered/baffled mufflers. Just hog dogs or glass packed oval mufflers.

Probably sound dope :0

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So she is meaning just to replace the rear muffler with straight (again, meaning pipework, not a piece of straight pipe) 2 1/2" and not the entire thing?

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Nope, unless she is saying **** wrong, which is always likely, but, no not_an_abba_fan she is replacing from the cat back, I said go get a new muffler welded in but he told her straight pipe, and yer I know its not literally a piece of stright pipe lol

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
I'll answer the original question first then my 2c.
Mate of mine had a 2.5" redback with mid muffler and rear res, he got epa'd one time, came out with a reading of 92db which was illegal but the guy passed him anyway. He then, the next day, went and got the rear res taken out, it is now very loud, so yes the straight through would be over the limit.
Now for my two cents worth,
Although the car now crackles and sounds sick when it does, it sounds like a busted a**hole farting in a milo tin the other 99% of the time and drones constantly. IMHO alloytecs sound like sh*t when they are too loud.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If she gets straight pipe with no mufflers on the VZ, it will be very bad. Loud, crackly, drony and a high pitched all round **** note.

Obviously she doesn't have the funds to buy a new system?

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Oh she has the funds, however because this guy is "professional" she trusts him more than me, forgetting I do know what I'm on about also lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This guy is a "proffesional" fitting exhausts to tractors lol. Cars are much more complicated.

She needs the twin 2 1/4" into single 3" Manta system. Sounds so much nicer than even a 2 1/2" single. $495 shipped.

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
NAFA do you have any recent videos of the manta catback the one that's on YouTube isn't the best, cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This one is from a couple of months ago.

Last edited by a moderator: