Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

F.I.T vs YT Rockers

R

rufus

I am in the process of fitting some Hi ratio rockers on and VS Ecotec.
Now, i was all good to go ahead with the F.I.T. 1.9:1 because i was told that they were superior to the 1.8:1 yella terra ones... But when i was chatting to the guy who's installing them, he went and told me that there were a few complaints about them and i shold go the YT ones.

I just wanna know if anyone out there has got solid results and what the plus' & minus' are for the ones you got???
If anyones tried both that would be a help too...

Airstrike you should have some good intell on this...

Redfox

Reaction score
I've had both. Plainly put, you get what you pay for. FIT are more expensive, but as you'd expect, because of the higher ratio you get more gains. I prefer FIT ones because they are easy to swap over and are a direct replacement because they are the stock rockers. The YT ones kinda sucked because of the spacer plate you have to install. But they do work. Either way, I think you will be happy. Good noticeable gains with HR rockers... :D If you want more info and experience, just let me know and I'll take the time to type it out when I'm not so tired!

R

rufus

Cheers mate... I assumed that the FIT ones would be a little better... but i just wanted to get a clearer picture

T

Tradewind

FIT Rockers

When I looked into this I found all the better power gains pointed towards the FIT product.

In saying that they work better than they really should, quite simply they weld up the original pushrod socket and then machine a new socket in closer to the fulcrum point which gives the increase ratio.

Anywayz all power to FIT on rockers, they give the power increase and work without problems

Redfox

Reaction score
Yeah at first i was a little bit surprised that I was paying so much for re-worked second hand rockers, but they do work for sure. And I actually ended up choosing them in the end not only for their performance, but also the fact that they are stock looking. Thus to most people who look in there, they wouldn't be able to tell that the rockers are modified. Whereas the YT ones are a lot more freakin obvious!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If you were going for High HP and still want to run Hi ratio RR's, I would be getting the Yella Terra's as they are a better constructed item. They are made from scratch with proper retainers, etc. The FIT ones are modified stock items and are on an exchange bais. The Yella Terra also have a roller tip im not sure about the FIT ones tho???
For your basic bolts on I would go the FIT, if you plan on adding a few more things and going racing go the YT's and if you are going all out get a custom ground cam and run some stock ratio YT Platinums..........
AirStrike :air:

Redfox

Reaction score
Yep, I'm with airstrike. The YT rockers are made very well out of aircraft grade aluminium alloy. They do have a roller tip, however these can seize up. I actually bought a second hand set of rockers and 2 of them had kind of seized up so I sent them back to YT and they replaced them for a small fee. The YT guys are very helpful. One thing I might add is that I did have an odd valvetrain noise with the YT rockers when I got to within 500rpm of the engine redline. It was quite loud and noticeable and I believe it was what most people describe as valve bounce. That's when the valve springs aren't hard enough to push the valve back quickly enough. I have a feeling this may have been a combination of factors, mainly tired valve springs and also a large change of weight distribution due to the rocker design. When I installed the FIT rockers, they were fine and didn't make the noise I suppose because they were the stock rockers. But that issue could probably have been resolved with harder valve springs. The YT's are very robust in design, so as Airstrike said, they'd be good for very high performance applications.

R

rufus

well bugger... just about to sign up for FIT ones.... but we're going to be doing a lot of work to the block next year for a bit of fun... (see what we can squeze out the old girl) ... So what sorta money are the YT platinums???
and i suppose the question while im still on the road is whats the legal stance on rockers???

R

rufus

hey Airstrike if your still looking at this....
What else is required for fitting the 1.8:1 yella terras... rods... springs???

Redfox

Reaction score
The YT 1.8:1's come with rods and spacer plates. Since the rocker geometry is slightly different, I think they use slightly shorter rods. It's been a while since I had mine, so I can't remember if they are longer or shorter. But either way, they provide you with a new set of rods when you buy the rockers. The spacer plate is to stop your rockers hitting the valve covers because they are slightly bigger than the stock rockers. Springs don't come with it, but it wouldn't be such a bad idea to upgrade to a set of higher pressure springs. I wouldn't go overboard with it tho... don't get them too hard unless you are going to do some major work to your engine. If you are going to cam it up, then maybe you won't need a HR rocker mod because the overall lift might be a tad high. If that's the case, look at the YT stock ratio rockers. They build some really nice sturdy rockers that will definitely take the punishment you throw at them. Good luck!