Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

t5 and vt ecotec

commo69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ss
gday im looking at getting a vt ecotec and have been offererd a t5 manual but im not sure wat car it came from????? will it fit the ecotec or will i need to look for a vs ecotec to suit the t5??? also will a vt ecotec engine bolt onto a vs crossmember k frame cheers

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I think there is a way to get it to fit, with a dfferent bellhousing (assuming its an early model box)

If thats not the case, you'll have to look for a Getrag box, as thats what the Ecotecs have standard.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
okay, vs s1 ecotec actually ran the t5 so no probs bolting up,t5's were used from the vn's-vs s1, ecotec and buick have the same bolt pattern so bellhousing is the same too. you will also need clutch pedle+cable, tailshaft and crossmember, shouldnt be too hard to get the speedo working either. and yes you will have no problems bolting a vt ecotec into the vs, everthings virtually identicle.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
99% certain you will ahve the same probs as when converting a VS to manual, you'll either need a manual ecu and wiriing look of need something to simulate the BCM otherwise you'll end up with a whole lot of fault codes coming up etc. best to pm Dr Bob

commo69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ss
who is dr bob??

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
vt engine drops in and works fine, i know, im running one :)

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
99% certain you will ahve the same probs as when converting a VS to manual, you'll either need a manual ecu and wiriing look of need something to simulate the BCM otherwise you'll end up with a whole lot of fault codes coming up etc. best to pm Dr Bob

a manual ecu or reconfigured auto ecu will do the trick, no need for a bcm simulator because vs already have a bcm.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
okay, vs s1 ecotec actually ran the t5 so no probs bolting up,t5's were used from the vn's-vs s1, ecotec and buick have the same bolt pattern so bellhousing is the same too. you will also need clutch pedle+cable, tailshaft and crossmember, shouldnt be too hard to get the speedo working either. and yes you will have no problems bolting a vt ecotec into the vs, everthings virtually identicle.

VN-VS S1 have the buick, and run the BW T5
VS S2 use the ecotec, and use the getrag box, and as far as i was aware, a hydrolic Clutch

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 use the ecotec, and use the getrag box, and as far as i was aware, a hydrolic Clutch

iv never heard of a buick vs, mate im 100% positive vs s1 were ecotec with the t5, and then went to getrag in the series 2.

Tadgh

itsjustasix
Reaction score
Members Ride
blown VS executive SII, 5sp

Same engine in both series I and series II, two different boxes. The T5 will bolt straight to the ecotec, i know cause i am running a t5 in my series II. Other little things may be different ie, the clutch cable may not be able to take the same path in the vt as the vs because the way the steering enters the engine bay is completely different in a vt as they run a hydrolic clutch. this may be an issue as the cable comes out the firewall and runs the length of the engine, does a ubolt and heads back the way it came and down to the box,it may not be an issue as well. If converting from auto and changing wiring loom be careful of the quality of the loom thats going in cause i got stuck finding and fixing snapped wires for a day. then when that was right the security code in the manual memcal didn't match the code in the car so we had to bypass the whole security system and put an aftermarket one in. Still have no cruise control which sucks. I have a funny feeling that the VT runs a different computer setup as well which means you won't be able to use the loom from the same car that the box came out of. Not sure about that though. There will be problems when doing stuff like that there always is. But don't let that stop you, just be prepared for it.