Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting a vt ecotec to a vs what needs to be changed

"Showme"

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
Hi
new comer here with what seems like stupid ???, im fitting a vt ecotec motor to a vs commodore,need to know what needs to be changed from vs motor for it work would anybody know or has anybody done this already,thanks

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Doubt you'd need to change anything mate, they're (almost) the exact same engine.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
use your existing VS intake manifold and plenum. therefore you may need some new valley gaskets.

VT and newer had the EGR setup on the passenger side exhaust manifold, where VS didnt.

"Showme"

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
cheers for the replies have been told sumps may be different and wiring harness as im fitting both motor and auto box as a complete unit but the more knowledge from other members the better help it is for me,thanks lads.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
VX had the new erg setup hence the 5kw increase.

the only real difference are:

1) VT has 1 temp sender unit. VS has 2, 1 for ecu and 1 for gauge
2) one of the idler pullies are smaller on the VT.
3) spark plug leads have smaller heads/plugs on the spark plug leads also having smaller plug guards.
4) VT injectors are different, with better atomisation

thats all i can think of there might be a few more minor things but its a straight swap, i have a VT engine in my VS.

Last edited:

vs-6

Raptorcharged VS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pac V6
wat about the injectors i know the vt has different ones so it all depends if ur gonna run vt everything
not too sure if the vs loom will fit onto the different injectors but yer depedns if ur doing a striahgt swap or not.
pretty sure sump is the same it apperas to be so looking at mine and a mates cars.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yes forgot that VT injectors are different and have a better spray pattern. the injectors are also the same resistance and plug so just plug and play.
The loom plugs straight on to the engine, apart from the 2 temp senders, which you have to add 1 to the VT block.

EDIT: added injectors to the list, thanks vs-6

"Showme"

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
thanks fella's, just curious is it possible to leave the vt harness on the motor and use the vs computer all will i need to change this as well for it to run????,just trying to find the easy,quick way of doing the transfer,thanks

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
all you need to do is:

unplug VT motor from loom and remove from car
unplug VS motor from loom and remove from car
install VT motor in VS engine bay.
Plug in VS loom to VT engine
install second temp sender and plug in

Change oil and filters
Start your engines

there is no point stripping the dash to replace the loom, the VS loom is fine, and the VS computer runs the VT engine the same, because its the same engine!

"Showme"

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
Thanks Troy5L, were would you suggest the best place on the motor is to run the second temp sensor& could i remove the one off the dead vs motor or do i need to get a special unit,with you having done this the knowledge is greatly appreciated,thanks.