Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hsv Enhanced Vt Ss (5.0l 195kw) Exhaust

V

VTSS195

I have just bought a HSV Enhanced VT SS (5.0L 195KW) and Im looking to get a bit more power out of it. The first thing I was planing on doing is the exhaust but a few people have told me that the HSV extractors+exhaust that come standard on this car a pretty good and are not really worth upgrading ($/KW) but on the other hand a few people have told me that they are no good. what do you guys think? :confused:

plus any Ideas on what to do after the exhaust I dont wanna go to crazy I wanna get somewere around the 200RWKW mark :D

oh yeah and does anyone know whether the standard cats on this car are high flow or not? :confused:

Thanks

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
its too expensive for little improvement........the hsv exhaust is tuned to the car and really cant be improved on because if you start changing things the power will die out in other areas at certain revs

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
boona15 said:
its too expensive for little improvement........the hsv exhaust is tuned to the car and really cant be improved on because if you start changing things the power will die out in other areas at certain revs
HAHA you make me laugh!
Rip that piece or crap out. First off it is a twin 2.25" system which is fine for a standard car only, so replace it with a twin 2.5" system with a balance pipe (another thing a HSV exhaust wont have).
Next is the extractors. They arnt the best flowing items around, although better then the GMH units. Look at some Pacemakers or DiFillipo if you are gonna do more mods as they make them in 1 3/4" primarys.
After that I would look at replacing the leads, plugs, coil, rotor cap and button and the air filter with a K&N or the like.
There isnt a great deal of a lot of CAI avaliable for the 5.0lt and the HSV ones is quite good so I would look at cuttin the mouth back abit and maybe running some more ducting to behind the headlight.
Next up look at some diff gears around 3.7's for an auto and 3.9's for a manual.
Thats about it in the range of bolt ons for the ol' 5.0lt so then get a tune and have some fun.
AirStrike :air:

V

VTSS195

Airstrike when you say "cuttin the mouth back" what exactly do you mean? plus I already have a K&N and what do you think or anvanced headers?
Thanks

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Ok in the pic I have posted thetwo red bits can be cut to allow more air flow.
On the top section cut the lip back to just below the HSV logo. On the 'inside' I guess you could call it cut thru this into the shroud, as air flow will come thru the grill into the intake.
AirStrike :air:

Attachments

• 479630_9_full_edit.JPG
    479630_9_full_edit.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 340

zandahar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 5L
cool those engine covers etc look nice painted up like that :)

on a side note how would you guys compare the SS inductions CAI vs the 'HSV' one I've been hearing about ?