Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN - VS 5.0L Turbo... Anyone done it?

V

VS-EXEC5.0L

Hey.

I've got a VS 5.0L, Have looked into many different methods of pulling some big numbers from it.. And have decided that a single turbo is the way to go.

The issues im having are:

1 - Im newish to brisbane, and have no idea who to trust as far as getting the work done.

2 - I dont know if anyones done quite what im looking at doing. which makes it hard..

Basically. im looking at putting a stock set of headers on backwards, making a pipe that goes from the front of those headers up into a collector, into a Garrett GT4088, T66 or T70 turbo, front mount cooler obviously. then into the stock inlet manifold. the orientation of the throttle body poses a problem too, with the proximity to where the exhaust housing will be...

Anyone with any ideas, engine bay pics of other such projects would be really helpful...

I also considered twin turbos on low mount manifolds, but then piping becomes more of an issue that the afforemntioned space requirements.

Cheers guys.
alex.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
changing the inlet on the intake manifold is only a matter of cutting and welding it in the orientation you want. i'm sure i've seen a turbo'd 5ltr but not sure where but i know it's been done. i've seen a few twin turbo setups but i think that was more in the LS1 scene. have look through some of the old street machine mags. anything done in the LS1 stuff with a little modification can be applied to the huble 304 i'm sure

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Ill have a chat to my engineer during the week and see what he says on a turbo upgrade for the 304ci and let ya know.

DAMO_5L

ILLEGAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN turbo 5L V8 aero, Rodeo minitruck, VR SS 355
Ive turbo'd my vn 5L. it works its a single turbo Gt35/40 so it is pretty big.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Any more info mate? Manifolds? Tune? Standard or modified motor? Wouldnt mind a turbo on the stroker :)

willygrice

Reaction score
I think it is raptor, one of the commercial sponsors is doin 1

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I've been looking in2 the TO4B (.63/1.06 a/r), just not sure if it's big enough 4 a single set up....
Exhaust manifold design/fabrications the killer. Wonder about the turb mount set up, near the rear transaxle??...

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
Yeah, I've been looking in2 the TO4B (.63/1.06 a/r), just not sure if it's big enough 4 a single set up....
Exhaust manifold design/fabrications the killer. Wonder about the turb mount set up, near the rear transaxle??...

er? Turbo setup at the rear of the car? Holy ****.. Got lag?

DAMO_5L

ILLEGAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN turbo 5L V8 aero, Rodeo minitruck, VR SS 355
yer soz bro.. umm i got a gt 35/40 on me vn 5L. its got 40 pound injectors and microtec LT8 computer. bosch 044 pump 1.5L surge tank and oil catch can. stock manafold turned upside down and welded flange for turbo. 3inch exhaust. its wicked

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
mate got any pics? whats the power like?