Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcals from eBay

Uber_Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY SS 5.7 A4, '94 VR 5.0L M5
Hey guys.

Ive been looking on eBay recently at memcals.

Is this a bit risky to buy them off ebay or would I be fine you reckon?

Ive founda few, one which wants me to send back my old memcal, which sounds dodgy, but also another one that says its s genuine HSV chip + knock sensor.

I dont hve links atm, I will post them up later when i have more time, but do you blokes reckon it wold be worth the $200 or so for them or would I be better off sourcing one elsewhere?

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
The reason they want the old memcal back is so they can re-burn the chip and send it to the next customer. Myself I wouldnt ever buy a memcal from anyone other than a reputable tuning company, because if someone stuffs around with the code who doesnt know what they are doing it can destroy your engine.

Uber_Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY SS 5.7 A4, '94 VR 5.0L M5
Yeah thanks mate. I was thinking the same thing myself, just wondering what others thought.

Trying to explore all avenues atm, considered getting a cam + chip (seems like my best option atm), considered a stroker, even researched superchargers.
Itd be great if I could combine the 3 lol!

Although when you have rent to pay, plus a wedding to pay for you havent got that much disposable income!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
try Dr bob or greenfoam. they do tunes. Dr bob runs his own site, bobs creative creations or something like that.

most ebay memcals are just copies of HSV memcals, if its sold with a knock sensor it's a direct copy most likely, some sell with the knock sensor function diabled so you don't need to wire the knock sensor to the ecu.

97caprice

Reaction score
I have got an ebay memcal in my vn ss. It made an extra 26kw atw with no other change. Engine runs perfectly. Username on ebay is spannacrab. Could not be happier, only cost me $116 to send my memcal to him, get it done and then returned. I rang him and gave him the details of my combo and he wrote the memcal to suit.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hey man I was jsut reading about your car in the my ride section, how much power did it end up making

97caprice

Reaction score
it made 196rwkw@5300, 249kw on the engine dyno at work

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
i bought one of them HSV chip+knock sensor packages, i can't show if it made a difference on paper, but it felt a bit more grunty, when i first started it after fitting the chip it was idling too fast and i had to slow it down, so it did do something

lil_oneblue

Reaction score
Members Ride
HZ Sandman Ute, HZ GTS, VT Senator
just see dr bob about one. dont waste your time on ebay. you run the risk of buying one from a backyarder that knows nothing about them (like i did). lucky i sent it to drbob and he reproged it again. some things where way way out! eg diagnostics had been deleted. this i wouldnt have known unless i sent it to be tested. lucky i did.

simple answer dont was your time with ebay chips. go straight to someone like dr bob that has been in the business for 100 years...

cheers
jason

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
i bought one of them HSV chip+knock sensor packages, i can't show if it made a difference on paper, but it felt a bit more grunty, when i first started it after fitting the chip it was idling too fast and i had to slow it down, so it did do something

umm, i thought i wrote down who i bought this chip off of in the above post, did it get deleted for some reason or am i going mad?